Worn my RH shifter out , how long will it last ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Took the commuter to the LBS for a new headset and shifting cables and when i picked it up today i was told the RH shifter is worn and takes a lot of throw to shift .
Its a 2300 8 speed shifter thats about 5-6 years old , now has anyone got long term experience of these and how much longer can i expect to get out of it before it goes phoom ?
I do have a second hand one in spares and i cant justify buying claris much as i would like too.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
my bike is about 4 yrs old and guess about 5 to 6 k miles and still working well. I have a couple of 8 speed spare sets I got second hand as thought there were packing in at one stage but a good clean and lube and they are good at the moment. It got blown over by the storm last sat when left at my railing at front of house. luckly only bar tape got it..... lever dident hit the concrete ! Id be hoping for another few years from mine anyway and I believe that 8 speed system is the most durable so I will be using for a while yet !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it works, keep using it till it fails.

I haven't got STI on the road bikes, but do on my MTB from the time it came out on the market. First shifter broke within a month or two, so there was me thinking therse things don't last, but hey ho, it's still going strong after over 20 years !

Top Bottom