Worried about going out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have not been on a bike for 40 years, then last year I had an late mod life crisis and thought I am getting a bike! ... I was overweight, in fact too heavy for the 120KG that Scott stated the bike was designed for, 16KG too heavy to be exact... so I suppose that plus the roads may have contributed to the spokes... although took a while...

On a plus in the same 12 months with diet, 4 nights at the gym each week and 30 miles on the bike over Saturday and Sunday I have lost almost 3 stone and turned my Diabetes around, so I am now below what Scott say and still getting lighter... plus living in the country I am out at 6.30 this time of year, the mornings are fantastic, no traffic just me, the fresh air and the wildlife, best thing I did getting the bike... Love it! ...

And like you say two punctures (so far - now tempted fate lol) and two spokes in 12 months is not bad...

Err.. just worry lol

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Just take the means to fix a puncture and you won’t get one...go out unprepared and you will...law of sod
Good practice.
I removed/replaced my crankset once and for the next few rides, I carried a heavy 10mm allen key just in case. No problems, so I decided to leave it at home. But on the very next commute, it worked loose! Luckily, I was able to tighten by hand a little and made it into work. A colleague had one in his car boot and I was able to tighten up securely.

Once , I left my pump at home and didn't realise. Half way round my loop, I noticed it's absence and panic set in, so I took a short cut back home.
Shouldn't have worried as I got home OK, but had I carried on, I know the PF's would have been watching me.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I am lucky really, I am not confident in traffic, maybe because it has been so long since I was on a bike so I use the country lanes around the village.. which although I do 14-15 miles each day the route I take makes it fairly easy to walk home if needed, like last week when the spokes went and the wheel buckled too much to continue riding I only needed to walk around 3 miles, so I am usually within reasonable walking distance..

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Well managed a trouble free ride of 14 miles :smile: apart from my hip pain but the bike was OK lol... beautiful morning, me a few horsed, sheep and a couple of dear.... .

Apart from the gears acting strange but I think that may be down to a little more lubrication needed... I cleaned all the gears and chain yesterday and today down shifts were all ok but up shifts seem to stick... i.e if I click the lever the chain/gears make a noise but nothing happens, or seems to happen, change again and its OK... maybe just needs a little more lube on the chain and some GT85 on the pivots :smile:

Try again in the morning...

Well managed a trouble free ride of 14 miles :smile: apart from my hip pain but the bike was OK lol... beautiful morning, me a few horsed, sheep and a couple of dear.... .

Apart from the gears acting strange but I think that may be down to a little more lubrication needed... I cleaned all the gears and chain yesterday and today down shifts were all ok but up shifts seem to stick... i.e if I click the lever the chain/gears make a noise but nothing happens, or seems to happen, change again and its OK... maybe just needs a little more lube on the chain and some GT85 on the pivots :smile:

Try again in the morning...
Might need indexing. Lots of YouTube clips and easy to do. Derailleur moves left and right to move chain to different sprocket. If out of alignment might not be moving enough to make the chain switch.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Will take a look later, but it was OK last week, but I know strange things happen...

Tried changing up and down when I was at home and it seemed to work everytime when I just changed gear, lifted the rear wheel and spun the pedals the chain move up and down perfect ...

Might just have been me being paranoid lol....

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

OK, I think I have worked out how to index the gears, and it seems better... do you agree that with my bike using the Shimano XT RD-T8000-SGS / Shadow Type / 30 Speed that the adjustment is on the actual levers rather than the derailleur as shown below in the dealer manual I downloaded..

I do not have any knurled nuts on the derailleur itself only on the levers on the bars, and turning the nut clockwise seems to have made it better..

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom