Worrying heart rate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
Hello all.

I used a cheap HRM from Argos and occasionaly my HR would get up to 218. I mentioned this to a couple of guys who are super fit and they suggested that I was making a mistake and getting the readings wrong. (in a piss taking kind of a way) :biggrin: So I decided that the HRM must just be rubbish and I kind of stopped using it. Recently I got a Polar CS200 and after my ride home last night it registered as 208 Max HR. Since I've been training hard for 6-7 months I can see how I may be able to drop 10 bpm from my max HR due to getting fitter but when I look at it: 208 still seems pretty high. Im 31 this year and for the first time I'm starting to think about my heart and any undue stresses I may be putting on it. I have loads of questions in my head but I would just like a little bit of info if possible. Should I see a doctor? It is ok? Am I being paraniod?

:laugh:

If you have any concerns then I would say better for peace of mind to have a chat with you doctor, however the long thought guide for max heart rate is only a very rough guide and many times its wrong.

I am 44 and my max is now 196, though I must also admit when I have been at or very close to this I still feel like I have a sliver left in me, just I have never had the urge to really push the boundaries to see if this is my max or not (I guess having suffered a heart attack 13 months ago and not ridden a bike for over 30 years means I am a little careful)

If in doubt see the doctor

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
208's not bad - I used to hit 205 in my late 20's. How long have you been cycling etc.

Think my max HR is just below 200 these days - 39 years old - resting HR is about 50 or just under.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
fossyant said:
208's not bad - I used to hit 205 in my late 20's. How long have you been cycling etc.

I got my first road bike 10 months ago but have only been training for 6 months. I decided to introduce myself to a local club and have been doing club runs and TTs. Before that I played rugby for a number of years but inury after injury takes its toll, so I knocked it on the head. I try and get on the turbo 2-3 times per week and will do at least 1 big interval night where I feel like dying but I just dont know if its too much. Should I be building up to his amount of heavy work in stages or what?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm in my 20s and it's somewhere over 200, exactly how far I'm unsure. I wouldn't worry, I think it's hard to pin down. I'd be more worried if you had a very poor heart rest rate e.g 80+.

Max HR sounds OK. Get yourself a book on HR zone training, you don't want to Max out every session because eventually you'll get limited results from that. Running websites tend to have quite a lot on HR zone training as it's more of a CV sport. Ideally you want a mix of training with progression depending on goals and base level fitness.

As Marin says, resting HR will tell you more about fitness levels but as we are all individual, make your own log and get to know your body and what it's telling you.

Dave5N

Über Member
If you have any concerns whatsoever, however ill-founded you think they are, go and get an ecg. It's free, quick and painless. Go to your GP or phone the local cardiac clinic and explain why. They are fantastically understanding.

That has to be a safer option than asking for random advice from random unqualified people on an internet forum. People who don't even tell you their real names.

Worried? Get expert advice. No reason not to.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Advice taken Dave5N

Doc said that everything is fine. He did mention that I could lose another stone and a bit though. I asked him why my heart at night would feel like it was beating a bit faster - this was my main concern. He said that we all have a natural pacemaker which will some times throw in a 'rogue beat' to quicken the heart. Apparantly this isnt too unusual in people who are in the process of getting fit. Because I'm excercising there is more demand on the heart and naturally my resting HR wil drop but there is a 'bedding in' period while my body acclimatises. This will stop when my heart becomes more dominant in its new rhythm. I was told to bend over and touch my toes half a dozen times which will sort things out. Havent needed to do this yet, but I will let you know if it works or not.

If anyone else is worried about it see your doctor, they're really cool about it and you won't realise just how much of a weight will be lifted.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm 50 MHR 194 (in a 10K race) RHR between 45-50 depending on if I'm stressed or not. Sometimes overhead electric cables can interfer with the readings. I wouldn't worry, I've seen mine hit 220 but I was able to speak while jogging, so that tells me it was a false reading and possibly the same in your situation.
Roy

BIGSESAL

A little bit of high school biology here. Most peoples max heart rate is generally about 220 minus their age. Therefore I would guess that 218bpm was not an accurate reading.

When you are training you should try to keep your heart rate at about 70-85% of max. Therefore if you are 30 your max heart rate should be around 190bpm (perhaps a bit higher if you are very fit). You should try to keep your heart rate between 133 and 162 bpm when training. Only when you are in a race/time-trial or really gunning it should your heart rate get near your maximum.

Well at least thats what the teachers and textbooks.

BIGSESAL said:
A little bit of high school biology here. Most peoples max heart rate is generally about 220 minus their age. Therefore I would guess that 218bpm was not an accurate reading.

No that's not right BIGSESAL. 220-age is a useful starting guide but it is rarely accurate. 218 could be easily achievable. Using that formula my max HR should be 174, in fact it's 191 and fitness has little bearing on Max. that's genetically programmed.

BIGSESAL

Right, so the biology teacher shall be getting some abuse tomorrow. Perhaps the PE teachers can enlighten me. haha. Is there any truth in the 220-age theory? I would suspect that max bpm would deminish by age but perhaps not in this way.

Top Bottom