Worrying times ahead.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's hoping for the best, for all.

You think you're having a bad time, then you read something like this. How can you complain when someone has this.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
When is it going to end? We drove down to our daughter yesterday and at 2 o' clock this morning, I could feel that my wife was very unsettled. She was sitting up in bed, complaining that her neck was hurting and then a sudden pain in her left arm. We phoned an ambulance and they took her to Barnstaple hospital where she still is now suspected of a mild heart attack. She had blood tests done and we are waiting for the results so they can decide what to do next. Because of Covid, I can't even be with her and we have to wait here. Luckily she has her phone and we can speak to each other. She is in good spirit though and I am hoping she will come back later on today.
I must say our daughter is stronger than me as she has been wonderful throughout it all.
What a s**t year this is turning out to be.
I had exactly the same last weekend with my 91 year old father taken to hospital on his own .
Thankfully turned out he had an aniexty attack so not as bad but had us all worried for sure.
Hopefully the year will get better @gavroche

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Update on my wife. She is still in hospital but much better. She is having daily injection to thin her blood as they have discovered a blood clot which caused the heart attack. They are going to move her to Exeter hospital, hopefully tomorrow, to have a stem ( is that the right word) fitted to get rid of the clot and open up the artery. After all that, they might keep her in for observation for another day or two and then back with us I hope. The doctors have told her to take it easy from now on so we will all make sure that she does. I will also take full retirement now, no more school, so I can look after her 24/7.
Her daughter is having her op on the 15th now so we will stay with her for a bit longer. She has been wonderful throughout all this and we are so lucky to have great children.
Hopefully, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Important you stay as positive for them both. They are both in the right place to get the help required and that's the main thing. Trust the doctors but also be ready to question what they suggest as well. We have an excellent relationship with my wife's oncologist after a rocky start, he's very blunt! But also admits if he doesn't have an answer to our question and always finds out for us. Only advice I would give is just to stay as positve as possible. Good luck.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Update on my wife. She is still in hospital but much better. She is having daily injection to thin her blood as they have discovered a blood clot which caused the heart attack. They are going to move her to Exeter hospital, hopefully tomorrow, to have a stem ( is that the right word) fitted to get rid of the clot and open up the artery. After all that, they might keep her in for observation for another day or two and then back with us I hope. The doctors have told her to take it easy from now on so we will all make sure that she does. I will also take full retirement now, no more school, so I can look after her 24/7.
Her daughter is having her op on the 15th now so we will stay with her for a bit longer. She has been wonderful throughout all this and we are so lucky to have great children.
Hopefully, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Probably a stent - apparently it's amazing how they do. Injecting it into an arm & sending around to where it needs to be. They'll probably advise about exercise & healthy eating once she's home.

And good luck to you daughter on her op. Hopefully that's as straightforward as mine was a few years ago.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Latest: the consultant has said my wife won't be going to Exeter hospital for another 7 to 10 days and she is to remain in Barnstaple hospital till then. :sad: On the bright side, she is cheerful and feeling good again but shame we can't visit her.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I am really pleased to say that my wife is now back home. One artery was 99% blocked so she is lucky to be alive. She had a stents fitted to clear it and keep the artery open. I must say, the staff , nurses and consultants in both hospitals, Barnstaple and Exeter were fantastic very caring, attentive, and very professional. The NHS is really exceptional when dealing with emergency cases so let's hope it will stay that way.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Really sorry to hear all this, must be terribly worrying for you.
Firstly, great news about Mrs g, all the best people have stents ;-). It’s a miraculous treatment, one minute you’re at deaths door, half an hour later stented you’re more alive than you can imagine!

Hope all goes well for your daughter tomorrow. The NHS are amazing....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can highly recommend this book by Trisha Greenhalgh. She is an experienced GP who had breast cancer and she wrote this book with in conjunction with a Breast Cancer Surgeon (who also had breast Cancer).

The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer: How to Feel Empowered and Take Control: Amazon.co.uk: Greenhalgh, Professor Trisha, O’Riordan, Dr Liz: 9781785041877: Books

It explains the process in plain English, with an extensive index so that you can look for answers to your questions, without starting with paragraph one.

The other advice I was given was to avoid looking up anything on the Internet, except for the website Breast Cancer Care.
Aha! The ‘Prof’ aka Mrs Brompton Bruce (make sure you get your 10% commission)....

Top Bottom