Worst fall out of the pedals ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'll be falling off soon, I got some inexpensive Boardman MTB clip-less pedals/shoes/cleats to try clip-less. Fitted them today, slackened the tension bolts, added some lock tight to stop the bolts moving and plenty of grease. The shoes seem to slip in/out the pedals with ease, I spent most of my cycling years in clipped pedals, so I'm interested if there will be any advantage for the old touring type bike riders, like myself.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I spent most of my cycling years in clipped pedals, so I'm interested if there will be any advantage for the old touring type bike riders, like myself.
IMO ... yes. I ride double sided SPDs so there is no fiddling, faffing or palaver when starting off. Just stomp on the pedal and you are away. Even though I had plenty of experience with toeclips, and could "catch" the pedal and put my foot into it most (but not all) times, I found clipless to be a revelation.

But that's just my opinion.

GuyBoden

Guru
Interesting first ride with the clipless, hitting the exact spot for lock down makes it amusing, but time will improve my judgement. I'd imagine that to fall over you would have to completely forget you are clipped in, so that's similar to forgetting you are in clips (toeclips). But, take note I'm back early from my ride, because I wasn't that confident in busy stop-start traffic, but it's early days......

Grippy flats do enable the wearing of my walking shoes, so I can combine a bit of country walking with my cycling..............

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I guess that if you feel the need to have your feet welded to the pedals its a good idea to wear a helmet and knee pads. :popcorn:

In answer to the question...river Ouse tow path in the middle of York, swerved to avoid about 20 Japanese tourists, no time to unclip and fully pebbledashed in a foot of mud, oh, how they laughed! Several photos were taken as you can imagine. I obviously wished them a terrific stay in Yorkshire and thanked them for their unbridled concern and selfless forbearance.

Steady

Über Member
When I first went clipless i never had the issue of forgetting to unclip, it was the pure fact that I didn't realise the tension needed to be loosened on both sides of the pedals.

Found this out when by surprise I saw my nephew lining up to leave for an event at Army cadets early one morning and I went to unclip and the tension was way too tight on one side and I couldn't get my foot out, cue falling over in front of his army cadet mates and the leaders.

His dad also there, turned around and thought my nephew had knocked someone off their bike - - I should have gone with that story. His Dad would have believed me and expected no less from him as he walks around with headphones in everywhere :blush:

Reactions: mjr

Dave7

Legendary Member
If toe clips count.........I was coming down our Close at speed and turned into the drive......also at speed. The toe clip met with the tyre and the wheel completely locked.
I shot over the bike and over the fence.....problem being my feet were still in the clips.
So I am mostly in the garden but the bike and my feet are hanging on the other side.
I did the usual 'get up quickly and check that no one was watching' but TBH.....to this day I wonder how I didnt break a leg.

screenman

Legendary Member
I guess that if you feel the need to have your feet welded to the pedals its a good idea to wear a helmet and knee pads. :popcorn:

What type did you use, was it the Obree style one's?

Wetdog

Well, had my first off today. Not bad I suppose, teeny bit of rash on my right elbow. Still it was only my second ride hahahahaha.
Come to a T junction, nowt coming so I stayed in the straps only for a car come whizzing round the corner. Bump first off. Ah well!!!!

Mick

Lakesideride

Having fell over the 1st time onto grass, no one around no injury I laughed and got back on. 2nd time in a grave yard (visiting) just forgot to unclip hoping no one saw I turned around and some poor bugger was being sent down. They all burst out laughing 20+ people, I hope it was at me.
My first fall was on the road was terrified, started practicing in a parking lot till I got comfortable, still prefer my mtb shoes lol:smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cought foot on root at top of decent failed to unclip " not that flats would have changed the inevitable" fell onto a hidden stump in the undergrowth , Big Hurty:B)..cracked ribs and very grumpy ..though i managed to laugh in a tearfull sort of way..:cry:
been a few but that was quite memorable, rooksack clip on the brestbone after another otb was also very nasty..i dont use a clip there anymore..i thought i split my sternum..not recomended.smashed my specs too so a 200 quid bill:banghead: to add to the pain i love MTB:laugh:

ThinAir

Do more.
Today...

Only my second ride on my roadie in about 12 months.

Cycled from the girlfriend's place to mine. About 12 miles.

Turned into my street at the end of the journey, hit a pile of gravel, silt and sand deposited by some recent flooding.

Went from 18mph to stopped dead in about half a second. Turned the air blue with a fairly quiet "F**ks sake"... All about ten feet from a smartly dressed, well spoken older gent who clearly took a few seconds to be shocked about my language before he said "Are you ok? They really need to clean that up before someone gets hurt".

Pride: significantly dented. Left leg: cheeky bit of gravel rash!!! Bike: A-ok!!!

Top Bottom