Worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Hi :hello:

I've just finished school for around seven weeks. My school's around 6 miles from where I live so it would be around 12 miles all around. Is it worth cycling there and back every day in the morning to get me used to it in order to increase my speed and train me for doing it in two months time?

If I started tomorrow and cycled 12 miles per day for the next 7 weeks, I would do around 500 miles - what would be the benefits?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You would be soon as fast as lighting, but also bored of the same trip after a week. It's your holidays, go explore!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You will be doing that route over and over when school starts again so why not use the holidays to explore some different routes while you can?

I think a summer of 12 mile rides could make a big difference to your fitness, unless you are pretty fit already.

PS Curse my slow two-fingered typing! :thumbsup:

Pauluk

I don't think you would need to do it religiously every day. If you're of normal weight for your age you should get your fitness up quite easily so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Do it if you enjoy it, if you fancy a break for a few days then take a break.
Just do it safely.
The benefits are simple, you will feel better/fitter and avoid slobbing around with nowt to do:smile:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Top tips here: if you want to, do it but be prepared to be bored by it.

unless you are pretty fit already

I'm kinda unfit, it's really the main reason I took up cycling. Hoping the holidays will change that!

GBC

Veteran
jazloc, have a look here for escape routes from Paisley. Once you get your distances up, which won't take long, you can use NCR 7 to get down to the Ayrshire coast, and if you like, get the train back up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got a better idea: break open your piggy bank and invest in a map, you will be absolutely amazed at what it reveals to you. There's a whole world of great rides, cafes, chance meetings with interesting folk and adventures out there and you've got all that time to enjoy them.

EX342.jpg

full.0s3v0l0b7t0t9y61.jpg

Bloody Hell, I'm green with envy at the opportunities out there for you!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually, the Explorer map in question covers pretty much the same area as the Landranger one but to do so it must be very large as it is half the scale. A smaller map is handier on the bike - you don't want to have to open a huge map on top of some windy hill.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd start with some easy runs down the cycle track to Lochwinnoch or Kilmacolm to get you used to time on the bike. Not every day at first. Then start exploring some of the back roads round the area to build up your road experience and maybe bring some hills into the equation. Good luck.

Top Bottom