Worth making a tourer out of this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

f7549b52-830f-4093-8bbb-13b6e0d4ab98_zpsfc888fed.jpg

I have a Raleigh 4130 Cromo framed mtb (circa 80/90's) sat on my turbo in the garage that I fancy converting to a touring bike. Ive toured for a few years on a Tricross so have all of the gear inc racks.

The Tricross isnt ideal, carbon forks etc, and I could probably do with lowering the gearing with where I fancy going in the near future (love mountains) Also the spesh attracts a lot of attention and could do with a wheel upgrade.

I have worked out I can achieve a 26" steel framed rugged tourer for less than £200 and I would interested in anyone's views on my proposed purchases.

Wheels, 26 inch , Mavic XM317 hand built 36 spoke -£86 for both from Rose.
Chainset - Shimano Alivio 44-32-22
Cassette- Shimano HG41 11-34 --- with the above gives gear inches of below 17"
Bottom Bracket -BB UN 55 - plus a new chain
SRAM MRX - Comp swift shifters - the original arent great.
Butterfly bars
New cables

I carry 20kg in the panniers fully loaded and weigh 14 stone.

There are lugs for the racks on the rear and my low riders will fit on the front with a clamp on the forks (lugs at bottom)

I am just about to retire, so will be upping my touring big time (perhaps US coast to coast but certainly another big Europe tour quite soon). Mainly on road . Am I best doing this or spending out on a Thorn/ Surly LHT or similar. I appreciate these components arent top notch but are cheap and easily upgradeable and the frame fits for the turbo in reach (but notice the saddle height)

I think I would get more satisfaction out of progressing on something I made rather than blowing a grand or two on something purpose made.

Any thoughts?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
cant see an issue with using said machine .

why splash cash when not really required

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd do it, but that's just me.:crazy:

Having recently built up a 700c wheeled Raleigh along similar lines I know it'll work, but I wonder whether the 11-34 cassette might be a bit much.

With mine I was able to get up Asterton Bank on 22 front 30 rear and found the biggest problem was keeping the front wheel on the ground. Having said that I may try an 11-34 at some point just to see what it's like.:whistle:

Oh, and I can recommend the MRX Comp shifters - I like mine a lot.:thumbsup:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd do it.
I have a very similar bike that's 90% done - steel frame, triple, MTB gearing and butterfly bars - and there's nothing to compare with the satisfaction of touring on a machine you built yourself.
You may want new mechs too if the existing ones are old and worn, but that'll hardly break the bank.

OP
OP
doog

doog

I'd do it.
I have a very similar bike that's 90% done - steel frame, triple, MTB gearing and butterfly bars - and there's nothing to compare with the satisfaction of touring on a machine you built yourself.
You may want new mechs too if the existing ones are old and worn, but that'll hardly break the bank.

Thank for your replies, I think thats the overriding thing for me now the DIY thing. Its had a new chainset, cassette etc but probably had 2000K on the Turbo over the last year.

Im still getting hung up on the gearing , having done the Pyrenees 2 years ago, feel I need to get it as low as possible this time. Sheldon is telling me that I will spin out at 26.6 mph downhill with my proposed set up but a bit of coasting is probably worth it as spinning up hill rather than walking up some of those Col's is more my preference.

I think I will do it ^_^

anyone bought wheels from Rose in Germany before ? Im looking at this wheelset

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/product/detail/aid:556278

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're spinning out at 27mph with those gears then that's a cadence of 90 rpm.
I bet you'd spin faster than that downhill. Anyhow, on a tour 27mph is probably fast enough anyhow - don't want to miss the scenery (or a decent bar).

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
You are only allowed to do it if you keep a blog of your progress?
(do it)

OP
OP
doog

doog

If you're spinning out at 27mph with those gears then that's a cadence of 90 rpm.
I bet you'd spin faster than that downhill. Anyhow, on a tour 27mph is probably fast enough anyhow - don't want to miss the scenery (or a decent bar).

good point ^_^

Thanks chaps , im really up for this now.

OP
OP
doog

doog

Ordered the wheels and parts from Rose. Only difference was that I changed the cassette to a 11-32. Cost for hand made wheelset on 36 spoke XM317 rims, deore hubs, cassette,new chainset, , chain, new bottom bracket and Sram shifters plus delivery £154. Im quite confident in that rim / spoke / handmade combination to take a load on the rear.

Stripped the frame over the last 2 days. I have never tackled a headset before so took the forks out, examined the bearings (which seem good) greased and replaced. Might stick a stem converter on as I am struggling to see how I can negotiate the quill stem around some butterfly (Trekking bars). The current stem is 120mm and I am reaching slightly to the bars as it is, so ideal length as the trekking bars will bring everything back 4 cm but wary I want to do this under £200 (Stem converter and new stem is probably adding £30.)

Just need to order the bars BHB30(£15), gear cable, bar tape and rim tape. Already have a set of unused set of City jets for tyres as don't intend going off road.

Kins

Über Member
Looks like a fun build, good luck and we need pics or it didn't happen!

I want the same wheels but with road rims: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb-wheel-set-28700-c-339485/aid:339487

Been out of stock for awhile though. Contemplating building my own if they aren't in stock soon.

Just bought a stem converter myself off fleabay, yet to fit it for my Dawes Horizon build. 2nd hand stem wont be much on there either if you hunt around.

I want some Deore 10-speed FC-T551 cranks but only seem to be available in europe or the states.

OP
OP
doog

doog

Looks like a fun build, good luck and we need pics or it didn't happen!

I want the same wheels but with road rims: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb-wheel-set-28700-c-339485/aid:339487

Been out of stock for awhile though. Contemplating building my own if they aren't in stock soon.

Just bought a stem converter myself off fleabay, yet to fit it for my Dawes Horizon build. 2nd hand stem wont be much on there either if you hunt around.

I want some Deore 10-speed FC-T551 cranks but only seem to be available in europe or the states.

When it comes to wheels you need to ignore it when it says out of stock, as they then crack on and build them - odd system but seen it a few times on other threads. Mine said out of stock and now says 'being prepared for assembly. Sold out means its a no go. I will let you know when they turn up.

Top Bottom