Worth making a tourer out of this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
doog

doog

Struggling with my photos here, could do with a bike stand really but can probably manage with the bike rack on the wall instead. As you can see i'm lacking in facilities ^_^, this was the original massacre.

f1d6f6ed-42f1-4cdf-9996-bc0f8ab31238_zpsa4d37830.jpg

Rear and front racks, saddle and panniers to come off this hopefully.

013-1.jpg

Bodhbh

Guru
It looks absolutely perfect for it tbh. Why blow a grand or more on a Thorn or LHT when you have that.

Great to hear that you're doing this - let us know how you get on. I don't see that your parts are "cheap" in a bad sense -I fitted that Alivio chainset to a 97 vintage 4130 hybrid of mine to make a decent tourer- gets me up big hills fully loaded -cost me £25 from Chain Reaction.

OP
OP
doog

doog

If you're looking for a workstand to make things easier(yes I know it will bust your budget but you've already saved well over a grand) I can recommend this - I bought it to replace something far more expensive I managed to lose - and it's just as good.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-tune-up-workstand?bct=browse/accessories/workstands-bike-storage

Yep, seriously thinking about a bike stand now.

The parts arrived from Germany during the week, the wheels are en route and currently at Eastleigh. I also ordered the butterfly bars from Amazon (£15) and they arrived. I fitted the new bottom bracket (Shimano BB-UN55) which I understand is pretty bomb proof and the Alivio crankset. The shifters came with cable so have ordered some more Jagwire outer ( I have some lying around but not enough). Outer and some decent ferrules £6 on ebay. This brings the total spend up to £175. I am keeping the stock brakes, they work fine.

All I need now is bar tape. I think I will probably double tape the bars so looking at another £10. Trust me Im not a skin flint, just wanted to do it for under £200 on an old steel frame. The only thing thats nagging is getting the gearing set up properly. Ive done a few bikes in the past but am willing to just get my LBS to tweak it so that might take it to the limit if I struggle.

One more thing, brake blocks. What with new wheels might invest in something thats a bit more gentle on the rims. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the crank and BB on. I stuck it back together with the new bars on to check my reach and everything and those trekking bars feel good. (need to touch the frame up in parts but wont go OTT)

8eddabbd-e7fe-4c40-be2a-d305280836c7_zps56a983db.jpg

Si_

Regular
liking this. aint no cool like the old skool and all that.

someone once said "its not about the bike" though i seem to have erased his name from the memory banks...lance something or other ...

. Trust me Im not a skin flint, just wanted to do it for under £200 on an old steel frame.

No need to apologise:smile: And as you say your spesh attracts a lot of attention- I also have a posh tourer but it's become the "best bike" - the old hybrid with some new bits and some Spa wheels is all nicely scratched and I feel pretty easy leaving it around, outside the tent etc.Never done it with the posh one yet.

OP
OP
doog

doog

Looks like a fun build, good luck and we need pics or it didn't happen!

I want the same wheels but with road rims: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb-wheel-set-28700-c-339485/aid:339487

Been out of stock for awhile though. Contemplating building my own if they aren't in stock soon.

Just bought a stem converter myself off fleabay, yet to fit it for my Dawes Horizon build. 2nd hand stem wont be much on there either if you hunt around.

I want some Deore 10-speed FC-T551 cranks but only seem to be available in europe or the states.

Just to let you know (as promised) the wheels turned up from Rose on Monday. I guess they must be losing business with this out of stock marker (when they just need to build them). Look fine, cassette fitted, tubes and tyres fitted.

Next job is the chain and found a handy video for measuring and installing chains (I usually just measure the previous chain length roughly but now have different cranks and cassette) but this is as clear as you like

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSl8F6ZLLFg

Ive got a limit screw missing from the front mech ? Its a suntour XR 300...any idea on the size of the screw anyone? M3/4 ?

cheers

baldycyclist

Über Member
Just to let you know (as promised) the wheels turned up from Rose on Monday. I guess they must be losing business with this out of stock marker (when they just need to build them). Look fine, cassette fitted, tubes and tyres fitted.

Next job is the chain and found a handy video for measuring and installing chains (I usually just measure the previous chain length roughly but now have different cranks and cassette) but this is as clear as you like

Ive got a limit screw missing from the front mech ? Its a suntour XR 300...any idea on the size of the screw anyone? M3/4 ?

cheers

is it not the same as all the others? try your rear mech screw on it and then stela from one of the parts laying around in your washing machine!

Crankarm

Guru

cheers

Count the links not the inches. Use a quick link as well.

OP
OP
doog

doog

Chain sorted. I couldnt compare links as usual as the crank and cassette are a different size than the previous.

Learnt something today. The rear derailleur barrel adjuster adjusts the cable outer, not the cable itself ^_^. The bloody thing fell apart in my hands so had to research what the hell was going on with this thing! I didnt know that...as you can see I'm next to useless but hey ho, we will get there.

So today was chain on and some cabling stuff. Wheels and cassette on the other day. Stuck some new tubes in (had some spare), the tyres are Schwalbe City jets (new but used on the turbo for the last 12 months) so keeping within budget. Had to order some new gear outer for a few quid and will re-do brake cables have decided.

Did I mention I need a bike stand :-)

4981b55d-bd0f-460b-8e79-0555ad96676f_zps190e53c2.jpg

Top Bottom