Worth the risk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I am supposed to be going on a training ride of 90 miles today but I have woken up with...ummm.. (how can I put this nicely?)... la trots raging...

I have had some imodium and some diaralyte and the cramps have eased slightly... what do we reckon people, should I give it twenty minutes and head off or what?

Don't go.
If you feel 'better' this afternoon, go for a similar paced but shorter ride. Your body will thank you for one, your mind will hate you for another. :smile:
Richmond Park, Regents Park, Sunday London's, Rides for Food etc - can all replace the missing miles when you feel less 'pressurised' :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Don't go.
If you feel 'better' this afternoon, go for a similar paced but shorter ride. Your body will thank you for one, your mind will hate you for another. :smile:
Richmond Park, Regents Park, Sunday London's, Rides for Food etc - can all replace the missing miles when you feel less 'pressurised' :smile:

Agreed. Even if your body is OK you will be worried for the entire ride.

OP
OP
MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Thanks guys.

Just worried cause I'm doing London to Paris in two weeks and I am meant to do a 90 miler this wek and next week!

Have done 141 miles last week, but not together.

Also just want washing machine and bloated belly to stop...am currently eating stem ginger and drinking milk in the vague hope it will work...

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks guys.

Just worried cause I'm doing London to Paris in two weeks and I am meant to do a 90 miler this wek and next week!

Have done 141 miles last week, but not together.

Also just want washing machine and bloated belly to stop...am currently eating stem ginger and drinking milk in the vague hope it will work...

Eggs are usually a good bet.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
(Whatever 'popmaster' is...Playsation game maybe?) :wacko:

Radio 2 game

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
You've done the sensible thing staying at home, even if you'd managed a training ride today it would probably taken a long time to recover from. If your immune system is dealing with something it's always best not to ride until you're feeling well IME.

I can understand your anxiety over not training, but a really bad training ride with 2 weeks to go can also have a really bad impact mentally!

As long as you get some miles in over the next couple of weeks and take the Paris ride steady, you'll be fine.

Fiona N

Veteran
...am currently eating stem ginger and drinking milk in the vague hope it will work...

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:No No No - never milk when you have any stomach bug :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

The runs are an indication that your digestive tract has something it wants to shed in a hurry - it's a sort of cleaning process to shift bacteria/virus/poison out of the body as quick as possible. It means that the lining of the digestive tract is sloughed off in the process - this is the surface on which milk products/lactose are digested so drinking milk will just make the problem worse.

Yoghurt is supposed to be good as it introduces 'friendly' bacteria (assuming it's live) and they've already eaten the lactose so it does cause fewer gut problems and may be a help. But if in doubt, avoid milk products.

martint235

Dog on a bike
For what its worth, I think you're worrying too much about your London - Paris. Having cycled with you on Sunday, unless you're in a super-speedy ride, you'll be fine. And you're in a four day ride (I think you said) so super-speedy is the one thing it isn't going to be. Relax, let your stomach sort itself out, chill a bit more and then enjoy L-P. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom