Worth upgrading my Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed.

But just wanted to see other peoples opinions on it.

I currently have a Carrera Virtuoso 2012 Limited Edition, upgraded pedals and tyres. It's an aluminium frame weighing in around 13kg I think.
I see everyone around me lately having Cannondales, Boardmans and Specialized carbon bikes and wonder should I buy 2nd hand for £500-700?

I cycle once a week, can vary around 15 miles to 50 miles, my main hobby is hockey so I have quads of steel ^_^

a)
Will it make a huge difference to me tackling hills etc? :bicycle:

b)
Anyone willing to sell me a carbon bike close by in Hertfordshire? :highfive:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The good news is quads of steel are irrelevant and the bad news(for N+1 believers like myself) is, upgrading is pretty pointless.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
A Second hand Giant Defy would be a cost effective upgrade, and typically weigh in about 9 KG, you could pick one up for £300-400 (for a 2009 model).
You don't have to go carbon, good grade Alux bikes are light enough IMO.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That is quite heavy for a road bike - mine weigh 8.5 kg and 10 kg respectively, and I can tell the difference between them and prefer the lighter one. Some people are perfectly happy with heavy bikes but I think a good light one is better than a good heavy one!

Why not try borrowing or hiring a lightish bike, go for a long ride on it and see what you think?

A Second hand Giant Defy would be a cost effective upgrade, and typically weigh in about 9 KG, you could pick one up for £300-400 (for a 2009 model).
You don't have to go carbon, good grade Alux bikes are light enough IMO.
I agree - my 8.5 kg bike is an aluminium Cannondale and it is a great bike!

Onyer

Once you have it in your mind you won't be happy until you get that carbon! A lighter bike will make a difference on the hills and a carbon is smoother to ride than an aluminium frame. Go for it - you know you want to.

KneesUp

Guru
"Worth" is a question only you can answer.

A lighter bike will generally mean you ride faster (assuming it's as rigid and has the same or less internal friction etc) That much is beyond question. It's just physics.

The question is whether or not that is worth £500 to you. £500 you could spend on, say, a holiday, or some gadgetry or decorating your home or ... anything else.

I prefer to tell myself that riding my 13kg bike means that for the time I ride it I get more exercise than someone on a 6kg lump of coal stretched into a bike shape, which given that I haven't time to ride as much as I would like is a good thing.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm half tempted to shadow a group of Carbon bikes on the weekend and see if I can keep up!

Sounds like mixed opinions on Carbon and Alu as well.

UPDATE - weight is 11.2kgs - not including my back seat bag

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Def...1352572489?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35ddb01a49

Looks like there's a Giant Defy just round the corner from me...
...could pick up a bit of a bargain here as it's only apparently been out on the road once.

Let me know your opinions and what to look out for guys.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Giant Defy 3 (although 9 speed & a 10 speed Defy 2 or 1 would be better).

Be wary of ebay/Gumtree for the stolen bikes, there will be a few & you don't want the Police to suddenly take it off you, or worse be accused of a crime.
Always ask for the original bill of sale, proof of ownership.

Look at discounted aluminium bikes from Cube (Peloton) Giant (Defy) Boardman or Cannondale etc. Yoy should be able to save a packet on a discounted 2014 model.

www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk & www.paulscycles.co.uk or www.merlincycles.com are your friends for good discount.

Merlin have a very well specced Felt F75 for £639, light weight good components, as is the 2014 Giant Defy 1 £699 at some retailers & Cube Peloton Race approx £750.

You don't need to spend this much but the difference to your Carrera Virtuoso will be significant.

Carbon Boardman Team's & carbon Cube Agree GTC's go for around £600> £800 on ebay depending on condition/bidders usual stuff.

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm half tempted to shadow a group of Carbon bikes on the weekend and see if I can keep up!

Sounds like mixed opinions on Carbon and Alu as well.

UPDATE - weight is 11.2kgs - not including my back seat bag
So your £500 is buying you an even more marginal gain that you thought ...

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I've seen a few boardmans on the road, assuming they are solely Halfords specific sale?
A little hit or miss for their bike builds unfortunately in my past experience.

Boardman team Carbon looks like a great bike sub £1000 rrp, looking online, they are the upper end of the budget at the moment.

- again, thanks for all the help guys! -

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Sorry to reignite this thread.

I have a local: Cannondale synapse ultra road bike
I think I can pick it up for about £350, rrp is £600 I think at the moment. Apparently never been used, although he hasn't replied regarding supplying purchase receipts as proof. But still has all labels on brakes etc so does genuinely look new.

Any advice on above bike?
I'm thinking as an interim upgrade from my Carrera and pass it to the wife who I want to get into cycling.

Top Bottom