Worth upgrading my Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

I stopped reading at the first mention of Carrera.

So to answer your q: no.
That is just the kind of reply that would turn a potential new cyclist right off! We've all go to start somewhere and if someone's first steps in to the sport are on a Carrera, so what? We bought our son a Carrera TDF and he absolutely loves it. It's certainly not the lightest or highest spec bike on the planet, but it gets him out riding (and enjoying it)! By the way, I recently purchased a Felt F95 myself, which I managed to pick up for £365.00 (down from £600.00 rrp). Do I sit above or below the social outcast threshold? Finally, I still like to remember the days in the mid-90's, when, riding a fully rigid Kona Lava Dome MTB (bought for £475.00) I would regularly kick the arses of people on bikes of three or four times the value of mine during trailquest, MTB orienteering, and XC events. "All the gear, but no idea" still echoes!!

Squid lips

I've bought a a merlin pr 7 superb spec claris 16 compact carbon fork got 9 /10 on road cc site absolute quality for the price better than a giant defy 1 or 2 and I've had both IMHO

mustang1

Legendary Member
That is just the kind of reply that would turn a potential new cyclist right off! We've all go to start somewhere and if someone's first steps in to the sport are on a Carrera, so what? We bought our son a Carrera TDF and he absolutely loves it. It's certainly not the lightest or highest spec bike on the planet, but it gets him out riding (and enjoying it)! By the way, I recently purchased a Felt F95 myself, which I managed to pick up for £365.00 (down from £600.00 rrp). Do I sit above or below the social outcast threshold? Finally, I still like to remember the days in the mid-90's, when, riding a fully rigid Kona Lava Dome MTB (bought for £475.00) I would regularly kick the arses of people on bikes of three or four times the value of mine during trailquest, MTB orienteering, and XC events. "All the gear, but no idea" still echoes!!

Hi there.bikeman, sorry I didn't mean to cause offence! What I meant was not that the carerra itself is or isn't a good starter bike, but that it might be better to get another bike if you want to upgrade bits on it. I know you can take wheels from one bike to the next but IIRC you have to buy different adaptors when going from, say, an 8 speed cassette to a 10 speed (or whatever) of a newer bike. Men I suppose that's not a big deal either.

I had a bottom end allez. I upgraded the seat post after the OEM one caused problems. Same for the wheel set. I see loads of people on carreras on the commute so I'm sure its a good bike. Maybe I was being a snob for which I apologise (PS in any of my other threads I might continue to be a snob).

Do you and your son go out on rides together?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Once you have it in your mind you won't be happy until you get that carbon! A lighter bike will make a difference on the hills and a carbon is smoother to ride than an aluminium frame. Go for it - you know you want to.
Yeah tell me about it. I wasn't convinced about all these frame wars (geddit?) until I test rode a carbon bike. When I got back to the LBS I had a huge grin on my face and couldn't hand over my money fast enough.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Sorry to reignite this thread.

I have a local: Cannondale synapse ultra road bike
I think I can pick it up for about £350, rrp is £600 I think at the moment. Apparently never been used, although he hasn't replied regarding supplying purchase receipts as proof. But still has all labels on brakes etc so does genuinely look new.

Any advice on above bike?
I'm thinking as an interim upgrade from my Carrera and pass it to the wife who I want to get into cycling.
If you pass your. Ike to wife, good idea to ensure frame fits her.

bikeman66

Hi there.bikeman, sorry I didn't mean to cause offence! What I meant was not that the carerra itself is or isn't a good starter bike, but that it might be better to get another bike if you want to upgrade bits on it. I know you can take wheels from one bike to the next but IIRC you have to buy different adaptors when going from, say, an 8 speed cassette to a 10 speed (or whatever) of a newer bike. Men I suppose that's not a big deal either.

I had a bottom end allez. I upgraded the seat post after the OEM one caused problems. Same for the wheel set. I see loads of people on carreras on the commute so I'm sure its a good bike. Maybe I was being a snob for which I apologise (PS in any of my other threads I might continue to be a snob).

Do you and your son go out on rides together?
I'm not saying the Carrera is a good bike (although any bike that gives the rider enjoyment should be classed as good perhaps). It is good enough for the money we paid for it (£329.00) and as I said, my son loves it. I would be the first to admit that I would seriously struggle to justify the original asking price of the Carrera TDF, which was £600.00, and the difference in quality and ride between it and my Felt F95, which was also £600.00rrp is immense. If the deal on the Felt had been going when we bought our son's bike, he would now also be riding an F95.
I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with any bike that encourages participation in a great sport, whether it costs £200.00 or £5,000.00.
My main issue with your reply mustang1, was that it implied that as soon as you saw the name Carrera you stopped reading because that particular brand is not worth taking seriously. To people who choose to buy Carrera bikes, or perhaps to those who simply cannot afford anything more exotic, they are perfect for the job.
Anyway, it's all done now, and I'm cool with the situation. Just enjoy riding!

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'm not saying the Carrera is a good bike (although any bike that gives the rider enjoyment should be classed as good perhaps). It is good enough for the money we paid for it (£329.00) and as I said, my son loves it. I would be the first to admit that I would seriously struggle to justify the original asking price of the Carrera TDF, which was £600.00, and the difference in quality and ride between it and my Felt F95, which was also £600.00rrp is immense. If the deal on the Felt had been going when we bought our son's bike, he would now also be riding an F95.
I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with any bike that encourages participation in a great sport, whether it costs £200.00 or £5,000.00.
My main issue with your reply mustang1, was that it implied that as soon as you saw the name Carrera you stopped reading because that particular brand is not worth taking seriously. To people who choose to buy Carrera bikes, or perhaps to those who simply cannot afford anything more exotic, they are perfect for the job.
Anyway, it's all done now, and I'm cool with the situation. Just enjoy riding!
Cool beans!
BTW I did not realize (or perhaps I didn't pay attention) that you paid only half price for the carrera and that is a KILLER deal. I would probably have done the same.
Actually tbh I couldn't tell you what bike is good or not. For example many people told me sora and tiagra is rubbish (about 8 years ago) but I didn't give a toss and bought such an equipped bike anyway. They told me it wouldn't last but only decommissioned that bike this year, and that's not because the components became faulty.
I have a 105 bike now but I hate riding that in anything other than summer so it doesn't get much use. End result: a slight waste of money (until I'm riding it that is when I love it). I have low spec CX bike for daily use. I like the idea of having fewer bikes that do more stuff rather than dedicated bikes for specific purposes, I'm not a fan of n+1.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I've bought a a merlin pr 7 superb spec claris 16 compact carbon fork got 9 /10 on road cc site absolute quality for the price better than a giant defy 1 or 2 and I've had both IMHO

got some great reviews on the Merlin PR 7
for that price as well.

Seen the Giant / Felt mentioned a couple of times on the thread, so will look into it!

Thanks all again for helping out!

arch684

Veteran
Cool beans!
BTW I did not realize (or perhaps I didn't pay attention) that you paid only half price for the carrera and that is a KILLER deal. I would probably have done the same.
Actually tbh I couldn't tell you what bike is good or not. For example many people told me sora and tiagra is rubbish (about 8 years ago) but I didn't give a toss and bought such an equipped bike anyway. They told me it wouldn't last but only decommissioned that bike this year, and that's not because the components became faulty.
I have a 105 bike now but I hate riding that in anything other than summer so it doesn't get much use. End result: a slight waste of money (until I'm riding it that is when I love it). I have low spec CX bike for daily use. I like the idea of having fewer bikes that do more stuff rather than dedicated bikes for specific purposes, I'm not a fan of n+1.
i went into halfords a few years ago to buy cables and came out with a carrera vanquish road bike .it was the red and black model with carbon forks, tiagra 9 speed shifters and shimano r500 wheels . it was old stock and I got it for £200 I have since upgraded it to 105 ten speed and fitted a set of mavic open pro wheels with 105 hubs . it's not my best bike but it is my favourite bike

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Very cool username, must remember to add it to my list on the "best username" thread.

Not sure if the Merlin would be better than a Defy 1 though, but then I've never tried a Merlin, so maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom