Worth upgrading my Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess define 'better'. We are all different and all want and need different things from a bike. That's why it's important to buy the one(s :whistle: ) that are right for you and speak to you. You need to test ride ideally if you possibly can (not that I did in reality with any of my current 'herd', other than the Genesis in stock guise to confirm which frame size I would order for the build)

Over £500 odd there won't be a 'bad' bike in the general sense, but there could well be the wrong bike for you (for me, this is any roadbike with Shimano hoods and no secondary brakes!) or a bike with lower spec components. All bikes are built to a price and there is always a compromise somewhere (but that may not be the same compromise for an individual over another)

Go with a bike that makes you smile when you look at it, and that you enjoy riding when using it for the purpose for which you purchased :smile:

Don't buy solely on the basis of cost as especially discount from its alleged RRP (sic Halfords pricing)

If a newbie, buy from a good local LBS if you can as they should offer help if there are problems etc and you won't need to spend your life sending emails, waiting for a phone to be answered or, in extremis, for a courier to show up if it needs to be returned! LBS's might also be willing to haggle on price if cheaper elsewhere, but personally I think it's unreasonable to expect a price match against an online retailer like Wiggle unless they specifically say they will (like Evans), as the service levels you are paying for aren't equivalent :smile:

That's my Tuesday morning ramble over :smile:

Top Bottom