Wot - nothing - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Returning home recently, came across a cyclist stopped by the roadside. Judging by the bike and the kit he had on, he was out for a ride, as oppose to commuting. Being a 'proper' cyclist, I naturally stopped to enquire if anything was amiss. It was, he had a puncture. However, he had no spare tube and no tools or pump. I offered him the use of my kit, which I always carry, but he politely declined, saying he had 'phoned home' so someone was on the way to collect him + bike. Is this somewhat shortsighted, going out for a ride with NO tools / tube/ whatever at all - ?:blink:

young Ed

Veteran
on the road bike i always carry a few p**cture bits and have had unfortunately the need to use them on several occasions, on the hybrid commuter i've never carried p**cture stuff and only once in 3 years has it failed me on that (sh*t i've now cursed myself! haha)
Cheers Ed

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
There are a few guys at work who commute in the summer and if they have a p....... they take their bikes to the nearest bikeshop

13 rider

Guru
Could be a long walk if youve got no mobile reception or noone at home to come to the rescue . personally I would never go out with spare tubes etc. Once came across a MTBer with a puncture no kit at all 3 mile walk home I gave him a tube 23 mm in a 32mm tyre but it inflate enough to be able to ride home

Serious response this time:

We live in a consumer age. Many of the things we buy, use and have problems with give us no options when it comes to their repair or maintenance. "No user-serviceable parts inside." It says. I once had a guy return a Honda 50 to the shop I was working in because it had run out of oil and he wanted us to put some more in the (seized) bike and ride away. I used to be able to fix things on a car, but now, under the bonnet is just an anonymous sea of plastic. Those of us who have been cycling a long time have no issues with fixing punctures (even though many submit themselves to, what to me anyway, would be the misery of riding a bike with heavy, dull, "puncture proof" tyres), but draw the line at more difficult tasks. (I am nervous with bottom brackets, personally - especially in a carbon frame.)

Let's not get too superior about somebody who doesn't have the simple skill of replacing a tube at the roadside.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If that's their choice, I suppose it's up to them.
Must get a bit dull sitting on the verge waiting for someone to turn up and take you home though, especially if it's cold and / or wet.
I always carry my mobile just in case I do need to summon help, but I'd prefer to at least have a go at fixing straightforward stuff than wait an hour or more for Mrs ND to finish what she's doing, put the dog in his pen, lock the house up, get the car out, drive 20 (or more) miles to a vague location somewhere in the countryside where I'll be sat waiting for a lift home.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If I knew someone didnt carry anything at all no way would I lend them any of the stuff that I lug about .

vickster

Legendary Member
ETA coverage. I've never managed to sort a puncture at the side of the road, I carry stuff usually but the pump goes on strike and I lose all strength in my thumbs! I struggle enough at home! :wacko:

Returning home recently, came across a cyclist stopped by the roadside. Judging by the bike and the kit he had on, he was out for a ride, as oppose to commuting. Being a 'proper' cyclist, I naturally stopped to enquire if anything was amiss. It was, he had a puncture. However, he had no spare tube and no tools or pump. I offered him the use of my kit, which I always carry, but he politely declined, saying he had 'phoned home' so someone was on the way to collect him + bike. Is this somewhat shortsighted, going out for a ride with NO tools / tube/ whatever at all - ?:blink:
I stopped to help someone too who was similarly unequipped and also politely refused to take help. He must of had a very understanding wife :wacko:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I offered to help a stranded rider, who had a p*ncture last week ( and didn't seem to have any tools / a clue). His response to my offer? "Jog on, what would you know about fixing a proper bike". I was in the middle of a 110 mile ride, on my trusty Triban 520:rolleyes::laugh:. I left him to it.
That's the new golf for you, it has unfortunately attracted a fair number of tits into the sport. Motorcycling was similar when that became the thing to do fifteen or so years back. In the car park at Brands Hatch for a Superbike round I saw some middle aged pot bellied superbike owner, resplendent in his one piece leathers sneer at someone on a cruiser that "He shouldn't have been nicking a parking space because his type of rider had no place at a race meeting". There was much merriment when he was told where to stick his crotch rocket in a frank and very candid manner.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I was out with my brother-in-law today... despite having a tube spontaneously deflate overnight, he decided to re-inflate and come out for a ride. Needless to say, the same thing happened again after an hour or so on the road... he did at least have a pump, but no spare tube or puncture fixing aptitude.

Having said that I once had to walk a very long way in Oxfordshire after a flat with no puncture repair kit when I started out riding. I don't think I've been out for anything other than a very short ride without tools and repair kits after that!

Top Bottom