Would a Hybrid bike be suitable for riding in the woods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`m in the market for a hybrid bike for use in the woods. I won`t be riding over rocks and the like, or through streams. I just wondered if this used boardman hybrid would be up to the job. It looks more like a road bike to me.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hyb-8-6-hybrid-bike-grey

The other bike on the short list is a new Carrera Axle Men's Hybrid bike
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...-axle-mens-hybrid-bike-silver-16-18-20-frames

There is not much difference in price, so am just trying to establish which bike you feel is most suited to the task.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's really never going to go near a road and you might want to go through muck and slippery stuff or get more adventurous, you'd be better off with a hardtail mountain bike or a suspension hybrid that will take big fat tyres with some decent clearance to the frame so it doesn't get clogged up (or a CX if you want drops)

Go second hand if max budget is £250

However, make sure it's not nicked...I'm suspicious of a current model Boardman that retails at £700 being so cheap. Ask to see the receipt / proof of ownership / do the usual database checks of the serial number

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Mrs ND has a Carerra Subway hybrid and it's used primarily on bridleways and cycle paths through woods and it's ideal for the purpose.

The Boardman shown above does seem more road focused, but it will be quite capable of going off road as the OP has described, although it might benefit from some different tyres - Schwalbe Land Cruisers are a good and inexpensive tyre that would fit the OPs purpose.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Boardman would be perfect if it's kosher. Be sure to check it for signs of wear and if any replacement parts are needed.
The is Axle is okay but something of a donkey.

@Cycleops
But is it fair to say that most off road bikes are donkeys. Anything I ride off road is going to be a pootle along really, especially as I will be carrying stuff on the bike.

Regarding the Boardman, I had my doubts regarding it`s carbon fork re off road use.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you ride currently? Skinny tyred roadbike?

A second hand Subway would be better than the Axle I think

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I meant the Axle was a bit unrefined and a rather heavy. If by off road bikes you mean MTBs then they're going to be rather less nimble than a hybrid.

Don't worry about the carbon fork it'll hold up fine.

tom73

Guru
Like @Cycleops carbon folk is fine off road. Never had an issue with mine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If by off road bikes you mean MTBs then they're going to be rather less nimble than a hybrid..

I find the opposite to be true; both my Raleigh Pioneer 700c hybrids and my old-school rigid 26" MTB's get ridden in woods, and I actually prefer the handling of the MTB's as I find them more manoeuvrable - especially if threading my way between trees & bushes rather than on a defined track. The hybrids I find to be slightly faster on hard dirt & gravel, and there is less tyre drag because they are not fitted with knobblys. Comfort also tends to favour the MTB running 26" x 2" tyres, although 700 x 38c Marathons are pretty good and roll better.

mustang1

Guru
Well what do you know I have both of those bikes and the boardman is a lot lighter and more fun to ride around. Both will be fine in the woods but you will probably be happier with the lighter bike if the price is ok for you.

Hint: I got it for 550 before the price increase.

Top Bottom