Would I feel much difference in a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never paid loads of money for a bike and never even rode an expensive bike. I currently have a carrera tdf and I'm wondering how much difference I'd find between that and a second hand specialized for about £400. And if the difference between the two bikes was say 3kg, would I get the same benefits if I lost 3kg's in weight?

Every bike is individual

How it feels is a mixture of position, size, frame shape and dimension.

Then how all of these suit you

Generally as you pay more you will get a "better bike", but you need to try that bike to see if the whole setup feels for you

ChrisEyles

Guru
Going from a MTB to a road bike is obviously a massive difference. Switching from a carrera TdF to a higher spec road bike will yield a smaller, but still noticeable difference, both in speed and ride quality.

A couple of other important factors besides "quality" of the bike:

1) Fit - You can't choose the size of the 2nd hand bike - if the fit is slightly off compared to your current TdF, this will likely offset any gains. Of course you can play with new stems etc to compensate, but far better to get the right frame size in the first place.

2) Gearing - if you switch to a bike with a lower lowest gear, you may (depending on fitness) find you gain time on the hills and your average speed goes up.

Cunobelin has got it bang on - every bike is individual and preferences will vary!

Finally, if you have 3kg to lose, then this should be just as good as getting a 3kg lighter bike. When you've no more kilos to lose, you've got no other option than to take it off the bike... but for most of us, anything under 12kg should be perfectly fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
You may feel better if you have something new and shiny - and then you'll want to ride it more - and then you'll feel better

Then again, you may not if it places a financial burden on you.

IMO It is however a slippery slope to upgrades, often the yearning for something new and shiny never goes away once you've released it from its cage :whistle:

Weight isn't the only factor - you may find putting better tyres and wheels on your TDF and getting fitter makes a world of difference. Also, improving riding technique and ensuring it is set up correctly

What's your budget? What is the Specialized - they have dozens of models?

OP
OP
cuske

cuske

Regular
You may feel better if you have something new and shiny - and then you'll want to ride it more - and then you'll feel better

Then again, you may not if it places a financial burden on you.

IMO It is however a slippery slope to upgrades, often the yearning for something new and shiny never goes away once you've released it from its cage :whistle:

Weight isn't the only factor - you may find putting better tyres and wheels on your TDF and getting fitter makes a world of difference. Also, improving riding technique and ensuring it is set up correctly

What's your budget? What is the Specialized - they have dozens of models?

My budget is £400, and there seems to be quite a few secteur and allez models on ebay for that sort of money, and also a lot of other makes. It's just a minefield to me at the minute. I'll keep reading reviews, forums, etc a bit before I dive in.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get some new wheels and tyres for £150, you'll appreciate it I reckon, perhaps as a reward when you've lost the 3kgs :smile: Very few aluminium roadbikes are under 10kg or so

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Specialized but if it's what floats your boat go for it. Just check the provenance of the bike, ask to see a receipt, check for crash damage, ask about maintenance histoey - don't want to buy a bike that is nicked or needs an expensive overhaul

If speed rather than comfort main aim, the Allez over the Secteur

Last edited:
Get some new wheels and tyres for £150, you'll appreciate it I reckon, perhaps as a reward when you've lost the 3kgs :smile: Very few aluminium roadbikes are under 10kg or so

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Specialized but if it's what floats your boat go for it. Just check the provenance of the bike, ask to see a receipt, check for crash damage, ask about maintenance histoey - don't want to buy a bike that is nicked or needs an expensive overhaul

If speed rather than comfort main aim, the Allez over the Secteur
Just two for you
a bit over budget at £600 but weighs 8.8kgs http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALUTIA/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-tiagra-road-bike though you have to add the weight of the pedals to this.
and at £430 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html weighs in at 9.9Kgs though at the moment only smaller sizes I think.

I would probably save for the planet-x as its a Tiagra groupset and has better wheels from the start, offsetting the extra cost.

vickster

Legendary Member
£600 is 50% more than the OPs budget, a bit over? I'd have the PX over any Specialized and the Decathlon bike is as DULLas dishwater to look at IMO ;)

I wouldn't say 9.9kg is much under 10kg :smile:

@vickster its £600 over my budget but if and when I could save for one, possible one to bear in mind though, £200 is not a lot extra for a new bike I would rather wait and get the right bike,

I do all my riding as you may know on a 6 year old Viking Torino, and the only thing that is original is the headset, forks, frame and chainset (though I did use a touring set for a while), its been upgraded from a triple 7sp to 9sp (though only got to ride 6 miles in this new guise, out of cycling until at least the end of the month).
As has been mentioned, better wheels were probably the best overall improvement, though changing the handlebars was a revelation in terms of confidence and comfort on the the drops, as I was never happy on the original ones.
The upgrades/changes have usually been when things have been necessary (steam due to a stripped thread, dont ask me how that one happened) and the bars because of the different size. The gearing because I have been trying to get better ratios (currently 13/14/15/16/17/19/21/23/25 on the rear and 52-42-30 on the front). The bike usually weighs in at 15+Kg's thats with mudguards rack and at least a saddle bag, am I bothered no I just ride because I enjoy it, its not a bike to ride much more than 40-50 miles though.:smile:

p.s. I can do the maths.;)

vickster

Legendary Member
My budget is £400, and there seems to be quite a few secteur and allez models on ebay for that sort of money, and also a lot of other makes. It's just a minefield to me at the minute. I'll keep reading reviews, forums, etc a bit before I dive in.

@Nigelnaturist - the OP's budget is £400

I have no idea what yours is

Top Bottom