Would it even be worth doing this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
If you had a low end road bike, Say a Carrera TdF or something along those lines, would it even be worth sticking something like a full Shimano 105 (or better) Groupset on there?

gbb

Legendary Member
Would i do it ?....no.
That answer was made without reasoning why...i don't know, its one thing to upgrade an old bike with a modern relatively entry level but decent groupset, but going two levels above....
JMO.

lilolee

Veteran
And I say why not?

If you like the feel and ride of the frame I don't see any reason not to. It is easy to accumulate most of the 105 group of recent years because of those who wish to upgrade to Ultegra/ Dura Ace for relatively little money and yet a new bike will set you pack a packet.

New wheels can help even more as lighter wheels are easier to get up to speed.

And remember when you can afford an new frame all of this can be transfered over. Hence in two years time you might have a bike that you not be able to afford in one go.

BTW just ask Davywalnuts as that is exactly what he has done.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
I've not actually got a road/race frame yet but I certainly want something more road focused very soon, BUT I'm in no rush to break the bank and get a bike with all the fancy kit on it already, if I don't need to just yet.

I thought if this was worth doing, then I would be happy with something more basic for now to get used to riding dropbars and STI Shifters and all that, then thinking about upgrading the set over time or dropping a few hundred quid on a full package once I feel my abilities warrent it.

The upgrade would cost more than a couple of hundred quid and for about 0.1mph or less improvement, so no its not worth it, it might be enjoyable though, only you can say if you like that sort of thing. If you want to make a practical upgrade down the line, look at new wheels and tyres, beyond that again I think upgrades aren't cost effective but might be pleasurable.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
aye, I see 105 kit goes at about 450-500 on fleabay.

It's not so much speed gains I had in mind just the overall feel of the bike. Actually might have to start a thread about groupsets as I don't really know "why" a Dura-Ace set up would be so much better than a 2300 or Sora setup or something, at least if you're just a casual rider anyways, going out just for the joy of it.

BikeLiker

I did this on my MTB, putting full SLX on it and I wouldn't do it again. I could have bought a new bike with SLX for the same money + what I'd have sold my old bike for without any of the hassle. If you enjoy working on bikes then it might be worth a try.

ebournecyclist

I wrangle almost daily with the inner voice that encourages me to upgrade and have considered a 105 groupset. It's the big kid in me that likes new toys delivered in the post. :biggrin:

But, I have resisted (so far) because:

1) In truth whilst it has its detractors, the kit on my bike (Defy 3.5) works plenty well enough. Yes there is better out there, but will it so greatly enhance my ride enjoyment/ability? Unlikely. Or at least not relative to the cost. I always have a blast when I go out and the bike does everything I ask of it. In fact, its me that needs an upgrade as I can't always do what i ask of myself when i cycle, but that will come with time.

2) I know that cheaper upgrades will likely reap greater improvements. Notably tyres and wheels. I'll be seeing to these as a priority when I simply can't resist spending some cash any longer.

It sounds like a second hand bike from a big brand manufacturer could be a good starting point for you. As long as you look after it, it will hold a reasonable value should you decide to sell it on and buy something kitted out with higher-spec components at a later date.

Just my couple of pennies worth.

Jezston

Über Member
Like others have said, wheels-based stuff will be the biggest and most noticeable upgrade on a lower to midrange bike.

Replacing those cheap heavy semi-knobbly tyres on your hybrid with lightweight road tyres will feel like you've got a new bike. Seriously.

Lightweight wheelsets are apparently another step further. Rotational weight and all that apparently.

Top Bottom