Would this be suitable to cut my steerer tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If the tube is metal, then yes.
If it's carbon, then no. You'll wreck carbon cutting it with a pipe cutter.
Personally I'd use a hacksaw...

02GF74

Über Member
what material is the steerer?

those are desinged for plumbing i.e. copper pipe whcih is soft and much tninner wall than your steerer.

having said that, I have used that type of tool to cut steel pipe - it knackers the cutting wheel though.

you can stat to use it to put a mark then use junior hacksaw.

or fit a jubilee clip and make saw cut next to it.

it is not essential for the steerer to be absolutely square - you can always file it down.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
LOL @ TheDoctor.

Its a steel steerer tube.

I don't have a vice so thought this would be easier to get a nice straight cut.

hodsgod

Jimboalee is 100% correct, the steel in a steerer tube will require a 32 t.p.i. hacksaw blade. That cutter is definitely the wrong tool, it's for plumbers and copper pipe.

Yep if metal, just go steady with it don't over tighten the cutting tension, go clockwise a few turns then anti-clockwise a few 'till it feels loose then increase the cutting tension and repeat. Be careful not to go wonky and cut a thread down the tube!

I have used these to cut down my steerer tube, did a neat job. Have also used similar tools at work to cut down small diameter stainless steel tubing.

The cutting blade may need changing after a few steerer tubes !

The 'Hacksaw' method is also quite valid.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I'll cut it too long with the tool first to test I think. Cheers.

Once its cut do I need to use some paint to touch up the exposed edge?

jimboalee

On another thread, I have said I have become reluctant to give advice.

However, as I am such a nice person :wacko:, here's some advice about cutting the steerer.

"Do not cut it until you are 100%, definitely, absolutely SURE you are happy with the stem height".

Cut it too short and then find the H/bars a little low, you will need a 'raiser/angled' stem.

Top Bottom