would this get the message across?

In favour?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Having read the entire thread regarding Crankarms retirement from road riding, I was left a little aghast as to just how bad some peoples feelings are towards the general quality of driving from other road users.

What seems worse is the general resignation to the fact that little can be done to either raise central government's awareness or to ensure local authorities take things more seriously.

Worst of all is our feeling that drivers see us as a mere inconvenience, to knock out of the way or intimidate off of the road.

I have a suggestion that may address all three issues.

DRIVE TO WORK

Seriously, if every cyclist in every city arranged to drive their car into work on the same day, the impact could hit national headlines and provide a valuable forum for cyclist to clarify the point that, despite incentives and promises, riding in city centre's (infact on the road at all) just is not safe enough. It would also highlight that cycling HELPS other drivers by freeing up the already congested road system

First off tho, "numbers" is the improtant issue here, so tell me what you think by answering the poll above (be interesting to see what sort of numbers are in favour)

Crankarm

Guru
It's a nice idea JJ but I suspect many may not have cars or jobs, or driving is just out of the question due to congestion or nowhere to park once there. Some may even prefer to use public transport. Some might even not bother and continue to cycle. I think now is a good time to raise these issues during pre-election campaigning. AFAICS the only party with a decent cycling agenda is the Greens who have adopted pretty much all LCC's recommendations for cycling in London. There is a nice article in the LCC mag about what each party is prepared to do for cycling and also an interview with Lord Adonis Transport Minister. There's also a good article on the success of the Velib Scheme in Paris shortly coming to London and possibly other cities in the UK.

Yeah, but, no, but, yeah, don't have a car (or a job- but that's not the point). I'm not sure it would work, there'd be no way of reaching everyone and would you include 'peddling pedestrians' on BSO's the path? I think people would at best not put two and two together and notice the connection and at worst be glad that there's no bikes 'in the way'.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We've only the one car so that would be a problem wanting to go different directions/times. But I have often thought that car drivers don't realise what affect we have on the amount of traffic on the roads (as well as slowing it down apparently:evil:;))

Bman

Guru
I dont drive either, but would be in favour.

What about a sign that participating drivers show in their rear window along the lines of "I normally cycle to work"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
To get the full effect you would also need to get those who use public transport involved too (well certainly buses).

Wouldn't work.

We had holdups last night (well, cyclists didn't!) because of problems with the computers phasing the traffic lights but could anyone get how that illustrated that the traffic lights that "the council just put in because they hate cars and want to slow us down" actually WORK to keep traffic MOVING

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Wouldn't work.

We had holdups last night (well, cyclists didn't!) because of problems with the computers phasing the traffic lights but could anyone get how that illustrated that the traffic lights that "the council just put in because they hate cars and want to slow us down" actually WORK to keep traffic MOVING

Yeah, fun and games wasn't it!

thomas

the tank engine
I am not against it...but something like what the French motorcyclists did would be cooler....don't have a link but I'm sure someone else would ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Apart from the fact that I don't have a car, I don't think it would get the point across. Nothing will change some people. Look at the price of fuel, but they just carry on driving, and moaning.

GrasB

Veteran
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Wouldn't work.
I think you wouldn't notice for 1 day but for say 2 weeks have an alternate drive in & cycle in days may push the message home.

The problem is there are a lot of lights which when installed cause more cueing in one direction. However when they are installed & the cuing is reduced you tend not to notice it.

The other thing is there are also a significant minority of lights that when knocked out you find that traffic actually flows more freely through the junction. The lights were never there to aid traffic flow but were installed to reduce the number of minor incidents, a job they do very well with a slight inconvenience cost.

It's also my feeling that there are a number of lights that while useful during peak traffic flow periods at other times just hinder the traffic flow.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
6410-471_d.jpg
:sad:

Really like their Jerseys :ohmy:

bianchi1

Guru
I don't like being cut up, driven at, endangered like the rest of the population, but intentionaly changing a behaviour in order to disrupt a group of ( generaly ) law abiding citizens going about their business will only add to the 'them and us' argument. Idiot drivers are idiots and are unlikely to alter their behaviour just by being held up for a bit. Beside I don't cycle so drivers are held up less, I do it so I can have a drink or 2 after work! ( Im a chef so finish late )

Top Bottom