would this work??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
want to change this ........
20120719_174356_resized.jpg

to this........
20120719_173541_resized.jpg
second picture is part of a spare groupset i stripped off an old mtb would it work ok to replace the old raleigh one onn my 70s road bike? i want to get rid of the downtube shifters and have some more modern shifters??

I suspect not personally, the Raleigh is a short cage, the MTB one is a long cage, but as you have the shifters anyway it shouldn't cost a lot to get a compatible rear mech.

Post a pic of your shifters/tell us what they are and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will point you in the right direction :thumbsup:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

Oh ................... a horny bunny :giggle:

HovR

Über Member
First thing is first, are the shifters 5 speed? If not, then they won't work with your 5 speed freewheel on the road bike, and to fit more than 5 speeds to that bike you will probably need to re-space the frame.

I presume those are the shifters that came off the same mountain bike as the new rear derailleur? If so, the cable pull will be correct (fairly obviously) - So you'll just need a Shimano compatible freewheel (if your current one isn't already). Buy the same speed as your current one to prevent issues in frame spacing and indexing.

As you can see, the MTB has the mech hanger built in to the frame, although I believe you should just be able to take the old mech off and re-use it's removable hanger.

Other things to consider are chain length (you may need a longer one), and you will need cable stops where the downtube shifters were originally, to allow you to fit some outer cable going up towards the shifters on the bars. Band-on cable stops are available from eBay.

You will also want to check that the clamp size for the shifters is compatible with your road handle bars.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
First thing is first, are the shifters 5 speed? If not, then they won't work with your 5 speed freewheel on the road bike, and to fit more than 5 speeds to that bike you will probably need to re-space the frame.

I presume those are the shifters that came off the same mountain bike as the new rear derailleur? If so, the cable pull will be correct (fairly obviously) - So you'll just need a Shimano compatible freewheel (if your current one isn't already). Buy the same speed as your current one to prevent issues in frame spacing and indexing.

As you can see, the MTB has the mech hanger built in to the frame, although I believe you should just be able to take the old mech off and re-use it's removable hanger.

Other things to consider are chain length (you may need a longer one), and you will need cable stops where the downtube shifters were originally, to allow you to fit some outer cable going up towards the shifters on the bars. Band-on cable stops are available from eBay.

You will also want to check that the clamp size for the shifters is compatible with your road handle bars.
now thats what i call advice! thanks that will give me plenty to look up on! cheers

Top Bottom