Would whey protein help with stiff tired legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

albion

Guru
Whey protein is a waste product now sold at a good profit.

Funnily enough it's wiki starts of and reads on the whole as a quite dodgy marketing blurb.
The best can be said is that as we get older a slightly higher protein diet helps.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Is your point that you consider it to be a waste of money? Consuming it has no tangible benefit? Can you please clarify.

albion

Guru
I added that a bit more protein helps as we get older.

Less so for the young.
The funny thing is that intolerance to whey protein can also cause muscle and tiredness problems. More so in the old I imagine.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
My protein intake is routinely something like a piece of chicken breast or a chicken kiev or three pork sausages at about five meals a week along with a ham salad sandwich at lunchtimes. I'm wondering if this is sufficent and whether a protein supplement would help.

GrasB

Veteran
My protein intake is routinely something like a piece of chicken breast or a chicken kiev or three pork sausages at about five meals a week along with a ham salad sandwich at lunchtimes. I'm wondering if this is sufficent and whether a protein supplement would help.
It's probably adequate, however it may not be at the right time to be most effective.

Since switching to a ketogenic diet, it's made all those problems go away for me. Beer gut gone; faster up hills; no more burning legs due to not bonking anymore; faster recovery after rides.

About the only downside is not being able to eat cake or drink much beer any more.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Since switching to a ketogenic diet, it's made all those problems go away for me. Beer gut gone; faster up hills; no more burning legs due to not bonking anymore; faster recovery after rides.

About the only downside is not being able to eat cake or drink much beer any more.

THAT IS A HUGE DOWNSIDE!

Jdratcliffe

You may be right on the lactose overload; last time I took one mixed with milk it hung around in my stomach for hours and I kept burping strawberry flavour.

Back to the whey protein... any suggestions?
i use one every weekday ( with water ) they taste fine but ride 15miles to work 5 days a week have a bowel cearal and one of these ( my fav are the banna or superberry) and fine it helps ease the aches for my day at work.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As in you do 30 miles per day round trip?

If you mean a 15 mile round trip daily and are finding you need to supplement, it might be an idea to have a look at your base nutrition. TBH, even at 30 miles a day, I would be tempted to knock it on the head.

Jdratcliffe

As in you do 30 miles per day round trip?

If you mean a 15 mile round trip daily and are finding you need to supplement, it might be an idea to have a look at your base nutrition. TBH, even at 30 miles a day, I would be tempted to knock it on the head.
as in 30 miles a day 5 days a week and long rides if i can convince SWMBO and get her to have the little guy a bit more

GrasB

Veteran
as in 30 miles a day 5 days a week and long rides if i can convince SWMBO and get her to have the little guy a bit more
Unless you're doing serious training in those 30 miles then you shouldn't need more than normal dietary intake protein. Even if you're doing serious training, then you'll only be moving your basic dietary intake to a more appropriate time (e.g. right after exercise).

EDIT: put it another way. I do use whey etc. however yesterday I had a lack lustre 15 mile home commute, so I just had a glass of water with electrolytes when I got in plus 1 portion of chicken for dinner. Normally I was scheduled to do 35 hard miles, in which case I've had a recovery shake when I got in & then had 1 1/2 portions of chicken in my salad.

Top Bottom