Would You Be Here Today If You Hadn't Been Wearing A Helmet?

A Helmet Did/Didn't Save My Life

• I'm only alive because I wore a helmet

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I would be a cabbage it it wasn't for my helmet

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I don't wear a helmet and I'm still alive

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • I don't wear a helmet and now I'm a cabbage

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But would you leave the house wearing a cheesy helmet?
I think the consensus was that a good blue cheese was best with a crisp outer layer and softer inner layer offering most
protection

TVC

Impossible to say obviously the extent of the injuries it might have saved, but despite several broken bones and facial reconstruction I didn't get a headache.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I rode head first into the back of a tipper truck about 16 years ago. Caused a lot of bleeding and needed quite a few stitches to sort it out. I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time and the doc who stitched my wounds decided to discuss it with me. Thankfully he was quite honest:

Me: well would it have done any good?
Doc: Depends on the helmet. If you'd been wearing a £15 job, we'd probably now be picking bits of helmet out of your skin.
Me: and if I'd been wearing an expensive one?
Doc: Well we wouldn't be here stitching your head but I can't say whether or not wearing a helmet would have increased the forces applied to your neck and back.

As it was I'd done quite a lot of damage to my back but thankfully nothing permanent. I did wear a helmet then for a few years but stopped recently after reading the criteria they have to pass: things like a drop of 1m (it's unlikely that my head will fall 1m onto anything as I'm 2m tall)

the snail

Guru
But what about Brie, it has a lovely rubbery skin..?

Or edam, rubbery shock-absorbing texture, with a sporty red outer shell?

Me: well would it have done any good?
Doc: Depends on the helmet. If you'd been wearing a £15 job, we'd probably now be picking bits of helmet out of your skin.
Me: and if I'd been wearing an expensive one?
Doc: Well we wouldn't be here stitching your head but I can't say whether or not wearing a helmet would have increased the forces applied to your neck and back.

Honest but ill informed. The cheap helmets are tested to exactly the same standards as the expensive ones and probably have a bigger margin on the test limits than the expensive ones. What you are paying for on the expensive ones is the addition of ventilation holes which makes the design and production to meet the test standards more challenging. But better impact performance? No

Honest but ill informed. The cheap helmets are tested to exactly the same standards as the expensive ones and probably have a bigger margin on the test limits than the expensive ones. What you are paying for on the expensive ones is the addition of ventilation holes which makes the design and production to meet the test standards more challenging. But better impact performance? No

There is no "standard" tetsing for helmets in the UK.

The requirement for sale is EN1078, but this is simply so weak that helmets meeting this standard are banned from use in the United States for racing.

There are a whole range that differ in the type of anvil tested ( some simulate kerbs, others don't) the level of impact tested and a whole range of other factors.

CPSC, ANSI, ASTM and Snell are some of teh standards.

The toughest of the lot is SNell who use "off the shelf" helmets, higher impacts and kerb shaped anvils.

A Snell certified helmet is proven to withstand greater impacts and more appropriate impacts than an EN1078

However the range of helmets passing Snell is limited in the UK, and mainly Specialized. Prices vary form about £30 - £169

There is no "standard" tetsing for helmets in the UK.

The requirement for sale is EN1078, but this is simply so weak that helmets meeting this standard are banned from use in the United States for racing.

Nevertheless, EN1078 is by far the most common standard and weak or not its what's available. Snell and others can be hard to track down. I believe the Specialized ones are still marked EN1078 even though they do pass the Snell test. But none of this invalidates the observation that price has no relationship to impact protection.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nevertheless, EN1078 is by far the most common standard and weak or not its what's available. Snell and others can be hard to track down. I believe the Specialized ones are still marked EN1078 even though they do pass the Snell test. But none of this invalidates the observation that price has no relationship to impact protection.

It is quite a while ago, when was the EN1078 standard introduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom