Would you buy a carbon bike that had been clamped like this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
So where should a carbon bike be clamped?

Wherever the manufacturer recommends. And none recommend the frame.

KneesUp

Guru
I was told that all bikes should be clamped by the seat post regardless of what the frame is made of.

And presumably if the seat post is carbon you attach the frame to a herd of butterflies with spider webs.

broady

Veteran
My last new bike was brought for me around 25 years ago (Raleigh Lizard).
I've only ever had secondhand bikes since. No issues that can't be fixed with a cheap tool kit and some grease in general wouldn't fix.

If I brought new I'm not sure I would check everything on it. With used bike I strip it down and grease it up checking everything is tight.

With secondhand carbon I go on what the seller is like and look all over the frame and feel it too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not too many people can afford a brand new bike :tongue:

Can't they? C2W makes a new bike even more accessible and interest free credit. Although I'm sure many people can't, not too many sounds odd

I wouldn't buy used carbon (mine was new, indeed first road bike), but. steel , alu, titanium I would

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I was told that all bikes should be clamped by the seat post regardless of what the frame is made of.

And presumably if the seat post is carbon you attach the frame to a herd of butterflies with spider webs.
If the seatpost is also carbon then you get a workstand that supports the bike from underneath the BB.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Surely seatposts are pretty strong, having 100kg (well, up to +/- a bit) of hefty rider bouncing around on top of them. I'm sure supporting about 8-10kg of bike is something they'd be more than capable of.
Yes but they are designed to take that 100kg down the length of the tube. If you look at how a bike is clamped to a "normal" workstand you'll notice that the forces created by the weight of the bike will be putting bend pressure at the seatpost clamp.

User269

Normally I'd make a joke about not getting carbon wet as it dissolves, but judging by the continuation of carbon mythology shown in this post I expect some people would think you can't take carbon out in the rain.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If the seatpost is also carbon then you get a workstand that supports the bike from underneath the BB.
There is a big difference Between the thickness of a top tube and the thickness and strength of a seat post. To damage a seat post in a workshop stand, you would have to be a complete animal.:okay:

martint235

Dog on a bike
There is a big difference Between the thickness of a top tube and the thickness and strength of a seat post. To damage a seat post in a workshop stand, you would have to be a complete animal.:okay:
Yes but I'm not talking about crushing the seatpost. I'm talking about the forces inflicted by the weight of the bike hanging down at an angle from it. Different type of damage.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 4195241, member: 45"]I wonder how these compare with the forces inflicted by the rider's movements?[/QUOTE]
For a road bike I can't think of any movement I make that replicates it.

However given that I've crushed a carbon seatpost just by tightening the seatpost clamp I'm probably best not playing in this thread.

Top Bottom