Would you buy this bike?

To buy or not to buy...

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/banchi-928-mono-q-spares-and-repairs/1069377316

Based on the text speak in the listing I automatically wrote this off, assuming it was stolen and stripped by some light-fingered miscreant.

But then I thought it was rather a weird way to strip a bike so called the guy on a whim.

He answered the questions I had and said he'd bought the frame-set, before running out of money and inclination to finish the build, which seems legit.

He's also said he'll knock it down to £200 which makes it sorely tempting.

So, would you go for it? I'm in a bit of dilemma about a potential purchase, knowing that I've got the parts to finish the build and have a rather smart bike at the end of it...

Ask him to give you any frame numbers and check it out !
Always a little dicey buying sec hand carbon with no history on the frame ... given its legal .

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Sounds nicked to me. No way that would only fetch £200 on evil bay so unless he just doesn't like money, its dodgy.

That was my initial reaction too, but why nick it and take off random stuff like bars, brakes, derailleurs and the cassette? Makes me think more un-finished project than dodgy.

Going for a viewing after work. I'll not have money in my pocket so I'll see what sort of feeling and details I can get off him.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
offer them £175 and rip his arm off

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are those Aksium wheels? It would be worth it just for them.

Sounds dodgy to me though, when building a bike the first things are usually the frame, then wheels and handlebars and saddle. It looks as if it's been caniballised.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
The deal is done. Turns out the seller had bought it NOS (it's the 2009 model) with the intention of building it up and was in the process of doing so before his missus got pregnant, so he's desperate for any sort of cash. He's also gutted which is understandable. Given his circumstances, I offered him £250 but he stuck to the deal we'd struck verbally which I felt a bit bad about.

I've got a lot of bike for my money:

- Bianchi Mono-Q frame & forks - a few cable marks but otherwise totally sound (and feather light)
- Carbon headset
- FSA Team issue crankset with carbon cranks
- FSA carbon seat-post
- Fi:zik Arione CX saddle
- Ultegra front mech (which I'll probably be selling if anyone is interested? It's clamp on and silver.)
- Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelset (may go as a sexy upgrade for my Kona, but I've just put some Shimano R500s on...)
- Pair of 23mm Continental Gatorskin tyres

All things considered I have been a very, very lucky chap today!

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Feel sorry for the seller from what you have said .... You have very done well !

I know. The guy clearly loves his cycling and we had a good long chat about our own aspirations and the pro side of things.

He's got my contact details and we've agreed that can he afford it before I've built it we will reverse the trade.

As for Ebay, given the size of his missus I think the need for cash was more pressing than dicking about on there.

Top Bottom