Would you claim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Im still amazed the question is being asked

I mean people look for blame in anything, who would the OP look at blaming if it had been leaves or gravel they slipped on ?

I personally wouldn't claim; to my mind it's just one of those things that can happen.

OP
OP
C

Cinq

Im still amazed the question is being asked

I mean people look for blame in anything, who would the OP look at blaming if it had been leaves or gravel they slipped on ?
I take your point. We do live in a very litigious society nowadays which has more cons than it has pros. However, for somebody who knows the road quite well I always show it a respect as it is quite a winding right hand corner and cars bomb round this blind corner quite often.

But should this farmer continue to leave the road in the state that it is, what is stopping it happening to another cyclist or even a motorcyclist which would have much more devastating consequences.

ELL

Über Member
What evidence do you have to back up your claim? Do you know 100% what farm/farmer the cows are from? Did you take pictures or a sample of said doo doo? Are you sure it was from a cow and not a horse, large dog or tiger? Did your witness see you come off because of the doo doo or just the aftermath?

If you answer no to these I think it's best left as just one of those things.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I can just imagine the look on a farmer's face after being told about his cows had messed up a road while they were being moved from one field to another... you could tell him where milk comes from at the same time.

It's just one of those things- like a tractor blocking a road while it the driver opens a gate, or sheep in the road on the moors- if there isn't a warning sign already there about the cows on the road then there should be but that is something to take up with your local Council's Highways Dept so people can be prepared to stop and/or slow down as appropriate.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
dont see how you could even be thinking of making a claim - you say yourself that you were aware of the road conditions and you were taking it easy - you weren't taking it easy enough because you fell off ! i fell off a couple of weeks ago because of rough road conditions and was taking it easy - i wasn't taking it easy enough- simple- sorry if its not want to hear but hey only my opinion - least your on the mend

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I take your point. We do live in a very litigious society nowadays which has more cons than it has pros. However, for somebody who knows the road quite well I always show it a respect as it is quite a winding right hand corner and cars bomb round this blind corner quite often.

But should this farmer continue to leave the road in the state that it is, what is stopping it happening to another cyclist or even a motorcyclist which would have much more devastating consequences.

Yes, because people like you look for someone else to blame every time they come-a-cropper!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'd see it as my own fault, because I don't really understand how it couldnt be seen in advance and avoided, unless you were going too fast for the conditions - at least in terms of taking an unnecessary risk relying on their being no hazards around the bend.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'd be surprised if the farmer didn't give a...

no pun intended.
I reckon the farmer might be a little concerned and interested to know, mainly because someone else might try to make a claim and waste his time defending it. Letting him know the incident occurred and then leaving at that, as it is an own fault incident in many respects, would be as much action as I would consider reasonable.

Otherwise leave it and ride more slowly in on that bit of road in future.

nick.b

hmm, tricky one, because roads are actually made for horses and cattle and not for cars, cars are a modern thing and the old laws still apply, from what i know, horse riders and farmers are not required by law to clean up after cattle/horses and do not have to follow the highway code.

you would deffinantly want a no win no fee law firm for this, but avoid the dodgy ones off the tv.

Top Bottom