Would you disassemble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

remy martin

I'm planning on selling my Condor bike to fund a new bike and was wondering what the consensus here was about how I should sell it.

Is it generally better to break a bike up in to groupset and frame for the sale (likely to be on Ebay) or to sell it whole? Please explain why you feel one is better than the other.

Look forward to your views.

Garz

Squat Member
If you can sell all the parts then you could reclaim more money I guess, but the faster and easier way would be to sell the bike whole. ebay is the preffered weapon of choice, but your local cycling club, lbs or friend of a friend may be other routes to explore.

Will1985

Über Member
While easier to sell as a whole, it'll take a lot longer especially on here where I think members already have certain bits which they plan to put on their build. You can also make more money from splitting it up.

There was a good example of why not splitting it up will not make a sale - that, or nobody likes a Dolan Mythos with Ultegra SL.

02GF74

Über Member
in theory, splitting up in to bits may raise more cash but is a lot more hassle - your time taking bits apart with risk of damaging them or not being able to get them off plus the advertising then packing and posting etc. ... and there is no guarantee you can sell them whereas a complate bike will sell,albeit for potentially not as much.

OP
OP
R

remy martin

Thanks for your views everyone. Unfortunately, selling through a cycling club is out of the question as I dont belong to one. I thought I would try the usual bike websites and Ebay and hopefully strike it lucky.
I suppose the question then is whether I'm willing to put up with the hassle of breaking up the bike in to its components or just sell it whole.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think the bottom line is that you could probably raise significantly more in bits, but at the cost of significantly more hassle.

Do you know 'completed listings'? It's an option you can select under advanced search which tells you what things have gone for. Spend an hour checking it out as a bike and then item by item and you should be able to get a pretty fair idea of how much you might raise, by either route.

Top Bottom