Would you Name Your Daughter Nutella?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the local news the other day there was a report where they mentioned a baby's name in regard to its brothers and sisters. The reporter managed to keep his face straight when he said the name Anfield!:laugh: Named i presume after Liverpool's football ground.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was at school with Diane Kerr, her brothers name was Wayne, that should not have been allowed. My eldest went to school with Richard Head.

Diggs

Veteran
I worked with a Dee Niles
I also had to purchase this when I saw it in a Charidee shop. Think it went as a joke gift to a friend

Wayne-King-Piano-Magic-563822.jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
[QUOTE 3500020, member: 9609"]is it not a bit sexist having names that distinguish the sex of a child? ...[/QUOTE]Mrs Scoosh teaches in a primary school where, in a couple of cases they need to address children as 'boy Alex' or 'girl Alex' and 'boy Jordan' or 'girl Jordan' to differentiate.

When my sister was at school, she had 3 or 4 girls called Jane in her class, hence Jane B, Jane F etc.

U

User169

On the local news the other day there was a report where they mentioned a baby's name in regard to its brothers and sisters. The reporter managed to keep his face straight when he said the name Anfield!:laugh: Named i presume after Liverpool's football ground.

I think John Peel's kids have Liverpool themed middle names.

That's food for thought. How about calling girls Bernard, and introducing tampons for boys?

Distinguishing between masculine and feminine isn't sexist per se. It's descriptive, and only becomes prescriptive when used in a manner that brings disadvantage.
You really don't know what's going on in the world out there, do you?

http://groupthink.jezebel.com/earlier-today-ninjacate-wrote-a-takedown-of-a-piece-fr-1512193939

In a revolution-eats-its-own irony, some online feminists have even deemed the word "vagina" problematic. In January, the actress and activist Martha Plimpton tweeted about a benefit for Texas abortion funds called "A Night of a Thousand Vaginas," sponsored by A Is For, a reproductive rights organization she's involved with. Plimpton was surprised when some offended Internet feminists urged people to stay away, arguing that emphasizing "vaginas" hurts trans men who don't want their reproductive organs coded as female. "Given the constant genital policing, you can't expect trans folks to feel included by an event title focused on a policed, binary genital," tweeted @DrJaneChi, an abortion and transgender health provider. (She mentioned "internal genitals" as an alternative.) When Plimpton insisted that she would continue to say "vagina," her feed filled up with indignation. "So you're really committed to doubling down on using a term that you've been told many times is exclusionary & harmful?" asked one self-described intersectional feminist blogger

U

User6179

I was at school with Diane Kerr, her brothers name was Wayne, that should not have been allowed. My eldest went to school with Richard Head.

I played football with a Jimmy Kerr and his nickname was Wang :biggrin:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember

I had a similar conversation with a member of the opposite sex once. I was out with a friend and we were happily drinking away, only to be beconned over by two such persons. Upon our arival, my friend offered "and what can we do for you lovely ladies." Offence was taken by one of them, by the use of the term lady. Still ended up copping off, mind, but enlightenment was brought about. People mind all sorts of things in this crazy, crazy world.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a company named Wayne Kerr which makes electronic test equipment! Perhaps Mr & Mrs Kerr should have thought more carefully about the name for their son ... :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In Denmark, you have to choose your children's names from an approved list.

In other news...."genital policing"?:wacko:

I had a similar conversation with a member of the opposite sex once. I was out with a friend and we were happily drinking away, only to be beconned over by two such persons. Upon our arival, my friend offered "and what can we do for you lovely ladies." Offence was taken by one of them, by the use of the term lady. Still ended up copping off, mind, but enlightenment was brought about. People mind all sorts of things in this crazy, crazy world.
I do have a bit of a problem with the word "lady". The phrase "why don't you act like young lady" has been used to suppress women and girls for a long time. It means variously: stop climbing trees; stop running about; stop getting muddy; stop asserting yourself; stop enjoying dirty jokes; stop enjoying sex; don't study science; don't dress the way you want to etc etc

I wouldn't dress down someone who said it, but it's not an opening line that would endear someone to me

Top Bottom