Would you of anticipated this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Approaching a junction which is on a bend, I get overtaken by a coach which is intending to go straight ahead which was my main concern at the time. When I get around the corner I am confronted by a driver in the camper van changing their mind and wanting to go left up the hill. The main problem is I was approaching quite quickly at the time and had to brake.

So as the title says, would you of anticipated this and what would you do in this situation?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1iZdAR0W44

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes.

One of the perils of driving / filtering in heavy traffic, drivers often change lanes if the other one is moving quicker.

Do you drive Matt?

I do and I've been driving a lot longer than I've been cycle commuting so I kind of anticipate this. If you don't drive it's not so obvious.

Best way to be safe on the road (when cycling) is to think like a driver.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
Moodyman said:
Yes.

One of the perils of driving / filtering in heavy traffic, drivers often change lanes if the other one is moving quicker.

Do you drive Matt?

I do and I've been driving a lot longer than I've been cycle commuting so I kind of anticipate this. If you don't drive it's not so obvious.

I don't drive, but I have ridden motorcycles, which is different. On a motorbike you would do a lifesaver the moment you would change from right to left lanes. Although had I been on a motorbike I probably would of had to change my underwear in that situation.

I anticipated this as soon as I saw the left indicator flash when the coach straightened up. You can probably hear me telling the driver not to, I was pretty quickly onto the brakes and scrubbed of quite a bit of speed. It seems a bit close in the video because of the camera set up.

I originally wasn't going to bother putting this clip up, but reviewing it I thought there were a few lessons that could be learnt from it

BSRU

A Human Being
It looked like he was changing lane as he was in the wrong lane, probably not a local, the road signs/markings do not look very obvious. I quiet often seen drivers suddenly change lanes, normally on confusing roundabouts once they have realised they are in the wrong lane.

As your view was obstructed by that large coach you should be easing back until it was no longer a problem. As soon as the camper comes into view, it can be seen it's indicator is on and it has already started moving, the driver probably started the manoeuvre thinking the lane was clear, well what he could see of it.

Best thing to do when cycling is think like an advanced driver/rider/biker, just because someone should not do something does not mean they will not.

BSRU

A Human Being
Matthames said:
I don't drive, but I have ridden motorcycles, which is different.

Not that different, instead of the life saver to save your life, a car life saver is generally to save someone else's life. I do life savers in my car, just to check the blind spots.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
BSRU said:
As your view was obstructed by that large coach you should be easing back until it was no longer a problem. As soon as the camper comes into view, it can be seen it's indicator is on and it has already started moving, the driver probably started the manoeuvre thinking the lane was clear, well what he could see of it.

In hindsight I should have eased back with that coach blocking my view. Although a lot of what I did was probably because of complacency and the familiarity of that particular junction. Something for me to remember for future :smile:

Downward

Guru
Always a risk undercutting traffic so slow down and cover the brakes. As a driver I have done (quick lane change) this many a time esp in an area I don't know.

You were out of sight long enough for their goldfish mind to forget. When passing something large you've got to be aware you are gone from view and expect the unexpected!

Bayerd

Über Member
Thinking from the driver's point of view, I'd have probably done similar. If you had been a car approaching at the same speed, I'dve nipped across for sure. To me the maddening thing as the cyclist is not always the fact that you're more vunerable, it's because you lose momentum and this won't be appreciated by a non cycling motorist. As a driver in this situation you'd brake and not really think much of it.

Crankarm

Guru
Something like what Lee said. Blimey agree with Lee :biggrin:!

He was a little way in front of you. Vehicles change lanes it happens. He indicated many don't. It looked like nice weather. The guy was probably going on a trip man. Ride defensively, if you had been, you wouldn't even have bothered posting this clip.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Moodyman said:
Yes.

Do you drive Matt?

Hmmm... thinking like a driver...
iftheseidiotswouldtakethebus.gif

Top Bottom