Would you ride home on a clunker in your team kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you were out riding many miles away from home,in your Sky jersey or any other team or club kit, and you consider yourself to be a serious cyclist, What would you do if you'd had another puncture and run out of inner tubes, or your chain snapped for example, also you had no other means of getting home. Then someone comes along and offers you their not to be seen on bike,(and to look after your 3 grand bling machine till you pick it up later),be it a supermarket special. a BMX,a rusty mountain bike or one of those with the saddle lowered as much as possible.^_^ Would you decline the offer and walk home the umpteen miles,or take them up on their offer and ride home on a clunker?:smile:

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would take them up on the offer, not that I have any team kit. I long since stopped worrying what people thought I looked like.

A few years ago I was touring in Scotland on the Airnimal when I had a a small issue - the frame cracked

Sat down in pub and worked out that if I abandoned and went home then lost deposits, full price train fare and other bits would cost me abot £150

Nipped into local bike shop and bought a cheap hybrid, transferred touring kit to the new bike and off we went

So the quick answer is yes - I have done similar

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I find it strange that people still find golf snobbish. I have never encountered it.

I must retract. I only ever found golf snobbish at The Belfry, even though I have played a lot of the top courses in Europe.

Here is a top touring tip. If you are touring and are passing a golf course at lunch time drop in and get some lunch. Most golf courses will feed you and the prices are usually reasonable. The surroundings are always good.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The only reason I'd be riding a 3 grand machine would be if I'd nicked it. I'd therefore accept the BSO in exchange, knowing that I'd be unlikely to realise the full market value for the hot Pinarello that I'd just purloined. I'd flog the BSO for £20 and deny everything when the good Samaritan is fingered for receiving stolen goods.

vickster

Legendary Member
No because I pay ETA £18 a year to get me home ;) and I wouldn't leave a 3k bike in the hands of anyone I didn't know

outlash

also available in orange
If you were out riding many miles away from home,in your Sky jersey or any other team or club kit, and you consider yourself to be a serious cyclist, What would you do if you'd had another puncture and run out of inner tubes, or your chain snapped for example, also you had no other means of getting home. Then someone comes along and offers you their not to be seen on bike,(and to look after your 3 grand bling machine till you pick it up later),be it a supermarket special. a BMX,a rusty mountain bike or one of those with the saddle lowered as much as possible.^_^ Would you decline the offer and walk home the umpteen miles,or take them up on their offer and ride home on a clunker?:smile:

Alternatively, what's more difficult to fight? One horse sized cat or 100 cat sized horses?

I find it strange that people still find golf snobbish. I have never encountered it.

I did the last time I went to play the 9 hole at Manvers near Barnsley 3 years ago - "You're not a member and my staff have just let you go out and play? You should call ahead for a tee time! I'll be having a world with my staff about this."

I phoned the next time but when I arrived my tea wasn't ready...

Top Bottom