Would you undertake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The last few weeks I've been earning a few quid helping out our local recycling team, and on a couple of occasions this has meant riding out to the right set of streets in the little electric buggy they use. She's very sweet, easier on the operative than the pedal trike when loaded, but she ain't fast - top speed about 7 mph.

The driver tends not to drive right in the gutter - I assume for all the reasons we don't, and especially not if there's a cycle lane, because after all, it's not a cycle, even if it's slow. I was amazed at one point though, when a couple of cyclists undertook us where there was no cycle lane. Not that they were faster, I know Beryl (that's her name for some reason:smile:) is slow, but that they came through the gap on the left, while we were moving. I feel sure I'd overtake on the right... Unless perhaps there was a cycle lane, but even then... I know the drivers and know they wouldn't be likely to swerve in suddenly, but even knowing that, undertaking a moving vehicle like that? Would anyone do that?

Mind you, it's fun when you've got an impatient car breathing down your neck, because you're nicely enclosed in a metal box and can whistle nonchalently and pretend you haven't seen them.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I wouldn't undertake but that is because I wouldn't do it in a car either.
Beryl sounds sweet!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I wouldn't undertake but I'd cycle slowly behind you pulling silly faces until you saw me in your mirror!;):biggrin:

A neighbour of mine drives an old Milk Float as his works vehicle, I had to explain to Ms tdr1nka what it was today:thumbsdown:.

bonj2

They probably aren't expecting such a stupid vehicle to be going at such a slow speed right in the middle of the road.
Why don't you get on the pavement with it, like an old foge's buggy/electric wheelchair type thing. The sort of thing you describe should be pootling round shopping malls and pedestrian areas, not sat in the middle of A-roads.

yello

To be fair to the cyclists (why?), I'd have to say I don't know what I'd do until I was confronted with the situation. From your description, I think I'd go past on the right but there might be circumstances where'd I'd elect to go left.... not that I can think of any right now!

I very rarely undertake. You never know when a vehicle might just decide to pull over for no apparent reason and without warning. It is surprising how often it happens.

However, if the vehicle is traveling at 7mph, considering the speed I travel at, it wouldn't have the time to even think about starting to pull over by the time I had whizzed passed :biggrin:

Dom will be along in a minute to suggest that I would wheeze past, not whizz past :ohmy:

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I'm in my car stuck in slow moving traffic I am always looking out for cyclist passing, often quite reasonably, on the left and motorbikes passing on the right. I will adjust my road position to make it as safe as possible for them to pass. Occasionally I get a wave of thanks which is good.

I find it annoying that I sometimes see drivers closing the gap if they see a cycle or motor bike about to pass them. I used to get it a lot on my motorbike working through traffic jams on motorways.

Plax

Guru
I think it all depends on the road layout. I very rarely get the opportunity to overtake, let alone undertake! I'd be inclined to automatically overtake, especially if the road was wide, as I cycle with a similar mentality as driving a car (I take the same road positionings as I would do in a car when approaching right hand turns and roundabouts etc, which I'm sure most people here so anyway).

Mr Pig

Night Train said:
I will adjust my road position to make it as safe as possible for them to pass. Occasionally I get a wave of thanks which is good.

I do too. I often indicate left to let bikers know that I've seen them and it's safe for them to pass. I did that near Loch Lomond a few years ago for a big group of bikers and every one of them gave the the thums up as they passed :0)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Night Train said:
I find it annoying that I sometimes see drivers closing the gap if they see a cycle or motor bike about to pass them. I used to get it a lot on my motorbike working through traffic jams on motorways.

In London I see a lot of this in the ASL feeder lanes, where cars deliberately pull in to the left to block your access.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Picture of Beryl please.

Best I can do off the 'net, Beryl, with the trike inset...

trike_vehicle.jpg

The trike does a great job over the nearer streets, but Beryl has a superior capacity, so fewer trips back to base. And she charges from solar and wind power...

Clearly Beryl requires a 427ci big block V8 with high lift cams and a supercharger, open headers, a Hurst Quickchange shifter, a narrowed Ford nine inch, Strange spools, Hoosier slicks on Centerlines and maybe a wheelie bar to stop it flipping over backwards when it leaves the lights. They wouldn't undertake then.

Top Bottom