Would you use a repaired tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Swap for new tube at roadside, patch at home and swap back again. That way I have confidence that my spare is always good, and I get maximum patchiness out of the one in use.

Where's the rational fear of re-using a patched tube? What's with the number of patches a tube can take?
Keep on repairing it until something happens that cannot be repaired. That's usually a valve stem problem but occasionally the tube will develop a puncture on top of another patch and the next patch won't seat nicely. Then it is time for a new tube.

I don't get this senseless dumping of something that's perfect to be repaired again and again. Just because you can afford a new one doesn't mean you should buy a new one.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Where's the rational fear of re-using a patched tube? What's with the number of patches a tube can take?
Keep on repairing it until something happens that cannot be repaired. That's usually a valve stem problem but occasionally the tube will develop a puncture on top of another patch and the next patch won't seat nicely. Then it is time for a new tube.

I don't get this senseless dumping of something that's perfect to be repaired again and again. Just because you can afford a new one doesn't mean you should buy a new one.
Those patches have mass you know...

wisdom

Guru
Swap for new tube at roadside, patch at home and swap back again. That way I have confidence that my spare is always good, and I get maximum patchiness out of the one in use.
Same method for me I have tubes with multiple patches on the commuter bike.the patches have never failed traditional or self.adhesive.Just depends which type.of patch I have with me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I use old school glue and patches, and I can't remember the last time I've tried to repair a puncture on the roadside.

Given this, there's a logistical problem in that when I return home after a ride when I've had a flat, I have an unwrapped tube which is inconvenient to carry as a spare whether patched or not. So assuming the damaged tube is repairable, it gets patched at my leisure and used eventually when for whatever reason I need to change a tube at home.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does anyone remember mending tubs? Picking off the sticky glue, trying to find the puncture, razor blade to cut open the thread, then patching and sewing it up again. What a pain.You had to repair them as they were so damn expensive.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've been sticking TipTop Touring patches on my tubes since my dad taught me aged 6 or 7. That's a good 34 years and I've never thrown a tube unless the valve has come away from it.
I tried instant patches for a while but I just didn't trust them.
Isn't cycling supposed to a 'green' mode of transport? Run it into the ground then run it some more ^_^

Depend on if you use cycling for transport, I do not.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I use patched tubes. Like @Drago I patch 3 times but I don't do the bondage wear thing.
I also repair properly when I'm home. I do take a proper repair kit with me on longer rides, really so when I am eating cake and drinking coffee, I can properly fix a tube and give the glue time to set properly. If it takes a bit longer and I have to have more cake and coffee, so be it.:hungry::cuppa:

robgul

Legendary Member
New tube on the road (and usually a CO2 to inflate) - mend at home with good old patches and glue - I've found that the self-adhesive patches are very variable, with presumably a shelf life for the glue?

I don't tend to count how many patches but I guess at 4 or 5 I'd probably bin the tube.

Tip: When I mend punctures I clamp the repaired/patched section of the tube between two small bits of plywood in the jaws of a vice - tightened up and left for a couple of hours to really push the patch onto the tube.

Rob

Top Bottom