Would you wear...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
A Balaclava?

The cold seems to have eased off but the wind near as makes any difference took my face off this morning, and it looks like its going to get worse over the coming days. Thing is, I'm slightly worried I might be put under citizens arrest for looking a bit, well, mug-y. I managed to get one of the Aldi cycling balaclavas for a pittance but I'm terrified to use it!

Never seen a cyclist wearing one before, a case of manning up?

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Commuting at 4am sees me in what is essentially a balaclava; albeit made out of a polar buff and a decent woolen hat.
Though, this is during night, and cold weather.

When I see people riding with their faces covered up like that during the day, I'm suspicious of them! :ph34r:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Commuting at 4am sees me in what is essentially a balaclava; albeit made out of a polar buff and a decent woolen hat.
Though, this is during night, and cold weather.

When I see people riding with their faces covered up like that during the day, I'm suspicious of them! :ph34r:

I have a nice buff, but (and you don't hear this very often) I have quite a heavy beard and by the time I get to work all the condensation from my breath and the air has saturated my beard.

Gross.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
30 years ago commuting in London during the winter, Balaclavas were quite common cycle-wear, as were Ski goggles.
Kit's moved on since then, but it worked just fine then on the very coldest of days.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I seen a chap wearing one the other day.
I have a neoprene type face mask but haven't worn it as I usually wear my buff pulled up over my face.

Keith Oates

Janner
When the temperature is zero or below I ride with an unzipped Hood from an anorak under my helmet and find it very warm. Personally I don't like anything over my mouth if I'm cycling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've worn my buff in a balaclava-type-way, but didn't suit me, as kept steaming up my glasses, making it a PITA to pull off from traffic lights etc. Ended up pulling the buff back around my neck and left it as that.
Now I just wear my buff as I usually do, in a bandana style.

As for the original question, wear whatever you like. Unless you've committed a crime, you've nothing to worry about.

BigAl68

Über Member
I have been thinking of getting one myself as the buff and hat combo isn't warm enough some mornings. I am also a 5am commuter and say who cares as long as you are warm.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I have been thinking of getting one myself as the buff and hat combo isn't warm enough some mornings. I am also a 5am commuter and say who cares as long as you are warm.

Shall we start a balaclava awareness thread to try and change the stereotype of of balaclavas belonging to robbers?

I think we should include a full body shot photo, wearing only a balaclava. You know, to show that we're vulnerable too.

Or something.

BigAl68

Über Member
OK I am up for this need to get down the shops tomorrow and look at the options. Do I go for the divers hat style or the proper bandit version with eye holes? Lol

Top Bottom