Wouter Weylandt dies in fall at Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
Leopard Trek have announced that they will take no further part in this years Giro.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/leopard-trek/leopard-trek-will-leave-giro-ditalia/161538327244198

asterix

Comrade Member
Was very sorry to hear the news. I always dislike the cycling coverage when they home in on spills. Have cycled past Fabio Casartelli's memorial a couple of times. Very depressing.

I watched recorded highlights of yesterdays stage this morning before work and was in tears. It's just so so sad.

oldroadman

Veteran
Circuit racing last night. A few words from one of the commissaires at the start, commenting on the sadness of losing "one of our own", and the fragility of a human, then a minute of quiet thought. 120 people and you could have heard a pin drop. We are/were all bike riders, those who have raced know that falling now and again goes with the sport, and how lucky most of us are. A quiet and moving moment. The peloton tribute on the stageto Livorno was stunning, and the quiet applause of the normally excitable tifosi made a fitting tribute to a popular and talented man.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I watched recorded highlights of yesterdays stage this morning before work and was in tears. It's just so so sad.

I defy anyone to maintain their composure at the moment where Tyler Farrar backs off to allow Leopard to cross the line as a team, and Stamsnijder beckons him back, insisting that he cross the line with them.

The whole stage was a beautiful, dignified, and fitting tribute.

Paul_L

Über Member
I defy anyone to maintain their composure at the moment where Tyler Farrar backs off to allow Leopard to cross the line as a team, and Stamsnijder beckons him back, insisting that he cross the line with them.

The whole stage was a beautiful, dignified, and fitting tribute.

Not that it really matters, but i thought it looked like Farrar started to break down and slipped back a bit as he was so upset. The LT boys realised and grabbed hold of him to bring him back into the line.

But it was as you say a wonderful tribute. I'm not normally a fan, but David Harmon's performance yesterday was quite brilliant too.

Top Bottom