Wouter Weylandt dies in fall at Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave_1

I believe Armstrong was extremely vocal regarding the dangerous finales the Giro put the riders through in the 2009 addition, pointing to Horrililo's incident as proof-much to the derison of the anti-doping warriors on bikeradar. Bike racing is dangerous but the picture of that road I've seen online suggest the organisers want spectacle over safety.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This news isn't important enough to be broadcast on the BBC Breakfast Sports programme, apparently. I have just watched news of rugby coaches resigning and boxers bickering like old women and these stories are of sufficient interest. A pro cyclist is killed in a major event and this isn't deemed important enough to mention.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This news isn't important enough to be broadcast on the BBC Breakfast Sports programme, apparently. I have just watched news of rugby coaches resigning and boxers bickering like old women and these stories are of sufficient interest. A pro cyclist is killed in a major event and this isn't deemed important enough to mention.

Hardly relevant on this thread though, is it?

martint235

Dog on a bike

It was covered on the main 6pm BBC news last night though so maybe they thought that covered it.

Incidents like this do show what these guys put themselves through to race professionally.

RIP

Saddle bum

Über Member
Very sad.

These guys are hard men, but their fraternal instinct shows through immediately when something like this happens.

Their nerve and skill is not always obvious, but the thought of moving along at 30's in the peloton can concentrate the mind and bring home their abilities. It is a dangerous business.

We all face danger one way or the other when we go out. Be careful out there.

I believe stats wll show more pro bike riders die in competition than Grand Prix drivers.

It's a bad day.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mr Weylandt. Sad to say his was a name I am not familiar with, having only lately started watchign cycle racing and then only the coverage on Freeview, but I feel deeply for his poor girlfriend and family.

He was a handy enough sprinter, and took stage 3 of last year's Giro D'Italia whilst riding for Quick-Step.

I didn't see yesterday's coverage, and heard about the crash on twitter. A sad loss, RIP.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Very sad especially for one so yourng with his whole life ahead of him. It is not totally surprising given how fast bikes go these days and the limits of physical endurance to which riders push themselves these days and the nature of modern big stage races.

girofan

It is terrible I agree, but considering the amount of racing and the numbers taking part it happens so rarely!
As a percentage I would think this makes cycle racing resonably safe. Except for the constant crashes?

I see the organisers have nullified any racing today, (Tues.) and teams will ride 10km each at the head of the peleton, with no winner in any classification. Seems a bit pointless to me! Why not cancel the stage altogether and let the members of the peleton grieve in their own way?

A bad business all-round!!!!!!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I see the organisers have nullified any racing today, (Tues.) and teams will ride 10km each at the head of the peleton, with no winner in any classification. Seems a bit pointless to me! Why not cancel the stage altogether and let the members of the peleton grieve in their own way?
They will get the chance to talk to each other about the tragedy while they are not actually racing and it lets the public show their support too.

Also - they have to get to the next start town somehow and it must be better for their legs (and probably their minds) to do it on their bikes rather than on the team buses.

It's quite traditional for the peleton to pay it's respects to the deceased rider by riding but not competing the following day.

Genman

They will get the chance to talk to each other about the tragedy while they are not actually racing and it lets the public show their support too.

Also - they have to get to the next start town somehow and it must be better for their legs (and probably their minds) to do it on their bikes rather than on the team buses.

Very good points made there ColinJ

raindog

er.....
This is very, very moving watching today's stage, each team taking a turn at the front and riding two abreast, and still thousands of fans lining the route to cheer them on. The stage will finish with Leopard Trek all crossing the line together. Apparently it was touch and go whether or not Leopard continued the Giro, but it was Weylandt's dad who persuaded them to carry on.

Top Bottom