Wouter Weylandt dies in fall at Giro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is very, very moving watching today's stage, each team taking a turn at the front and riding two abreast, and still thousands of fans lining the route to cheer them on. The stage will finish with Leopard Trek all crossing the line together. Apparently it was touch and go whether or not Leopard continued the Giro, but it was Weylandt's dad who persuaded them to carry on.

Very moving indeed!

On Norwegian Eurosport they are broadcasting the stage, but there is no commentary, of any description, at all, which makes it all the more poignant! Is it the same with GB Eurosport?

mr Mag00

rising member
RIP

difficult for the commentators i would imagine too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Really moving tribute. Can't think of a better way for the peloton to show it's respect and grief.

Tyler Farrar was Weylandt's best mate and has taken his place in the Leopard Trek line. I've a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

mr Mag00

rising member
+1 - perhaps more than just one tear.

defo here, the comaraderie really hit me.

ACS

Legendary Member
Saw some of the coverage this afternoon. I thought the sight of members of the crowd holding up Wouter's race number (108) as the procession passed particularly moving.

I found myself trying to keep my emotions under control while I trying to explain to a colleague what had happened.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've just watched the re-run now. Really moving. Beautiful scenery, weather, great crowds - all made it more poignant. All I can say is it was a good tribute. Very very sad.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the thing is about cycling at that level is that the cyclists aren't just strong - they're fantastically skillful. And they depend on each other's skill. A fast moving bunch looks as smooth as it does because the individuals know how to ride in a bunch. The marvel is that big crashes don't happen more often.

That, I think, is what makes this tribute so very moving. Individual cyclists compete one with another - collectively they're looking out for each other.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the lovely helen just asked me why i was crying watching the final kilometer of a cycle race. when i explained she started crying too. chapeau to the peleton, the crowds watching, the leopard-trek team and to tyler farrah.

they race like they are immortals yet their lives are just as fragile and precious as any.

Top Bottom