Wow, How cheap is that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. I think I've posted a thread like this before, but I've been keeping meticulous records of stats of how many miles , average speeds and what its costs me over one calender year of cycling. From the 29/7/17 to 29/7/18 I've managed to cycle 4500 miles. When you look at it in real terms I've virtually cycled from Wales to India on a bike that cost me barely £80 !!. One puncture, a new tyre, broken spoke and a new chain. I dread to think what this would of cost in mileage terms using the car. The tyre was around £15, spokes cost around £4 for 3 and the chain set me back around £10.
So overall its cost around near enough £30 to cycle virtually from Wales to India on bike maintenance.
£30 would barely of given me half a tank of diesel in my old car lol. Never mind the road tax and insurance of it :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
Road Tax?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Good morning

Looked at another way;

Calories expended - 4500 * 45 = 202,500
Calories in a Mars bar (51g) - 230
Number of Mars bars needed - 202,500 / 230 = 880
Cost at 40p per bar = £352.17

Diesel price - £5.9
Miles Per Gallon - 50
Cost of diesel - 4500/50*5.9 = £531

Still a decent saving.:smile:

Bye

Ian
40p for a Mars bar?! You haven't bought one recently then? Diesel is probably the cheaper option in terms of fuel costs only. :ohmy:

Milkfloat

An Peanut

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
40p for a Mars bar?! You haven't bought one recently then? :ohmy:

I prefer Toffee Crisp bars myself - and I always buy them when they've got multipacks on special offer @ 4 for £1 then keep them in the fridge.

My cycling is also done on a small budget, not out of necessity, but simply because I don't believe in wasting money, which means I've then still got it available to spend on other things.
The only real expenditure I've made on parts, is fitting puncture-resistant Schwalbe tyres to all what I consider my "good" bikes; i.e. the ones that are intended to be ridden further afield then just a few miles. However, I don't just bin the old tyres that come on any secondhand bike purchase - so long as they hold air and aren't about to explode they get fitted to my hack bikes or stored for future use. Because my mileage is spread across several bikes, I haven't worn out anything I've bought yet, but I'd be disappointed if my overall cycling wear & tear cost was to exceed 1p a mile over, say, a year.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My newest bike was bought in January and so far has cost me about 250p per mile :laugh:.

I can beat that ^_^ latest bike purchased on Wednesday & currently costing £25 a mile :ohmy: I'll have to get plenty more miles in to bring cost per mile down. But back to the OP reckon cycling can be the cheapest & most fun form of transport, hopefully in the next 12 months you can cycle back from India, to Wales & beyond :okay: I'm sure it was Veloviewer that gave you a destination that your yearly mileage equated to & number of times up Everest for your yearly elevation ?

Top Bottom