Wow, How cheap is that

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneArmedBandit

I find that over the years i have become quite knowledgeable in local history and sites, all due to the fact that I'm moving a lot slower and taking time to see things that others drive past without a thought. Like a little neighborhood school near me, still in use as a school, built in the 1930s, concrete where stone would usually be, and with a cornerstone stating that the school was built under the authority of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration at the depths of the Great Depression.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Emergency_Relief_Administration
I would also be hopelessly remiss if I did not point you in the direction of this thread.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...rporating-other-interesting-geographs.215788/
This is definitely a largely overlooked benefit of cycling. A weird one but part of my commute takes me on a path which takes my a couple of dozen metres from the cooling towers at Didcot power station. Those things are absolutely awesome up close.

IMG-20180609-WA0002.jpeg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Depends whether they've been frozen or not.

Personally I prefer eccles cakes.
Give me something with fresh cream in it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Sixmile

Veteran
Hi. I think I've posted a thread like this before, but I've been keeping meticulous records of stats of how many miles , average speeds and what its costs me over one calender year of cycling. From the 29/7/17 to 29/7/18 I've managed to cycle 4500 miles. When you look at it in real terms I've virtually cycled from Wales to India on a bike that cost me barely £80 !!. One puncture, a new tyre, broken spoke and a new chain. I dread to think what this would of cost in mileage terms using the car. The tyre was around £15, spokes cost around £4 for 3 and the chain set me back around £10.
So overall its cost around near enough £30 to cycle virtually from Wales to India on bike maintenance.
£30 would barely of given me half a tank of diesel in my old car lol. Never mind the road tax and insurance of it :-)

Lets compare this to a decent car. James May will explain some basics:

It would cost well over twice as much! Unless you eat some exotic extremely rare animals instead of flapjacks or harribos. You wouldnt be much quicker either because you would be too busy changing tyres and refuelling to do much driving.

Top Bottom