WOW! Make a 'movie' of your ride ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here are two I made earlier ... (I set the sample rate on the website to a sedate 0.4 fps, which is respected on the website, but movies seem to be saved at 1 fps regardless. I have now edited the files elsewhere to slow them down to the speed I wanted!)

A little hill called Birchliffe:

Birchcliffe climb.gif

Another little hill, this one being the fearsome 'Mytholm Steeps':

Mytholm Steeps climb.gif

@Littgull told me about Streetview Player. It lets you upload a route file in GPX/KML format (IN THE ADVANCED OPTIONS, BRIAN!!! :okay:) and then connects to Streetview and plays through the route.

You can set the speed at which it plays (fps = frames per second).

The software seems to create one frame per point in your GPX/KML file. (It may add others too). If you want a very detailed look at your route, make sure that you place points every 50-100 metres on the road. Note that increased sample rate will make your movie files bigger.

I have just realised that the Streetview images seem to be adjusted to point in the direction of your plotted route lines. If you look at my movies above you can see a couple of places where my line pointed straight off the road on tight bends. If you want to see such bends properly, experiment with how you plot routes round them. [PS I improved the line of sight slightly when I edited the files, but the locations of the sample points are still not perfect.]

I found a few problems in Firefox but the software works nicely with the current version of Chrome.

You can play movies fullscreen on the website or choose to have the replay next to a map of the route. It is best to zoom the map out so you can watch the progress on the map and see where you are looking at in the replay. Saved movies only show the replay, not the map.

There is an option to export your movie to an animated GIF file, having chosen the dimensions of the GIF before doing so. My recent 100 mile forum ride route produced a GIF of about 60 MB for 512 x 512 pixels which was way too big for CycleChat (It waited until the entire file had been processed and then threw it away, displaying a security error!) I tried again with a file about 1/4 of the size but that was also too big. The limit seems to be about 2 MB. Ok, you will have to store big files elsewhere on t'Interweb and link to them, but for now I have produced a couple of short movie files at 350 x 350 pixels and uploaded them to illustrate the kind of thing you would end up with ...

Apart being a lot of fun, this is a great tool for checking your routes before riding them.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
WoW I like that thanks

Here are two I made earlier ... (Apologies to those who can't stand rapidly changing images - I set the sample rate to a sedate 0.4 fps, which is respected on the website, but movies seem to be saved at 1 fps regardless.)

A little hill called Birchliffe:

View attachment 401761

Another little hill, this one being the fearsome 'Mytholm Steeps':

View attachment 401768

@Littgull told me about Streetview Player. It lets you upload a route file in GPX/KML format (IN THE ADVANCED OPTIONS, BRIAN!!! :okay:) and then connects to Streetview and plays through the route.

You can set the speed at which it plays (fps = frames per second).

The software seems to create one frame per point in your GPX/KML file. (It may add others too). If you want a very detailed look at your route, make sure that you place points every 50-100 metres on the road. Note that increased sample rate will make your movie files bigger.

I have just realised that the Streetview images seem to be adjusted to point in the direction of your plotted route lines. If you look at my movies above you can see a couple of places where my line pointed straight off the road on tight bends. If you want to see such bends properly, experiment with how you plot routes round them.

I found a few problems in Firefox but the software works nicely with the current version of Chrome.

You can play movies fullscreen or choose to have the replay next to a map of the route. It is best to zoom the map out so you can watch the progress on the map and see where you are looking at in the replay. Movies only show the replay, not the map.

There is an option to export your movie to an animated GIF file, having chosen the dimensions of the GIF before doing so. My recent 100 mile forum ride route produced a GIF of about 60 MB for 512 x 512 pixels which was way too big for CycleChat (It waited until the entire file had been processed and then threw it away, displaying a security error!) I tried again with a file about 1/4 of the size but that was also too big. The limit seems to be about 2 MB. Ok, you will have to store big files elsewhere on t'Interweb and link to them, but for now I have produced a couple of short movie files at 350 x 350 pixels and uploaded them to illustrate the kind of thing you would end up with ...

Apart being a lot of fun, this is a great tool for checking your routes before riding them.

Yes, this is a very impressive web tool. It was my tech savvy son who mentioned it to me. Being a total tech dinosaur I struggled with working out how to use it. That's where @ColinJ came to the 'rescue'.
In addition to its benefit for anyone who would like to review a proposed or planned ride the tool will also greatly help those on the forum who regularly organise group rides in acting as a great 'marketing' aid by enabling anyone considering joining one of these rides to see how scenic and quiet the route is before riding it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

In addition to its benefit for anyone who would like to review a proposed or planned ride the tool will also greatly help those on the forum who regularly organise group rides in acting as a great 'marketing' aid by enabling anyone considering joining one of these rides to see how scenic and quiet the route is before riding it.
The only (minor) catch is that you would have to put the animated GIF somewhere other than CC. I reckon file size would be roughly 1 MB per mile of route if you limit yourself to 350x350 pixels, or a lot more if you use bigger image sizes, as you probably WILL. There are lots of sites offering free storage. I might sign up to one so I can put my forum ride GIFs on there in future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah, and another catch is that only places that Streetview visited will appear in the GIF! The route I am currently planning features lots of sections of cycle trail which are unlikely to have been photographed by Google, although some parts of the Tarka Trail that I rode in Devon last year HAD been.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just thought - I'll do the obvious - convert the files, upload them to YouTube, and embed them on CycleChat! I'll do that tomorrow with a movie file of last Saturday's 100 mile forum ride route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

GIF is an 'ancient' graphics file format - History of GIF.

Pixels = 'picture elements' - What is a pixel. (The individual coloured spots making up the image on your screen.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well done Colin keep up the good work.

Here's a nice Pheasant picture:
View attachment 401855
Thanks - I wanted one of them!

I saw a few nice live pheasants on our Conder Green ride on Saturday, but also a couple of not so nice dead ones splatted on the road.

Oh, on the subject of roadkill ... We saw a huge dead rat in the road. It was the first one that I have seen in 30 years of cycling up here in NW England. I have seen lots of dead birds, rabbits, frogs, a few dead foxes, a couple of dead cats, even a couple of dead badgers, but no rats until Saturday. But then - 30 miles down the road I saw my second dead rat - how weird is that? Is there a new rat suicide cult up here that nobody told me about!

Back to Streetview Player... It seems that it only harvests square images from Streetview. If you export to non-square shapes it stretches or shrinks the image to fit. I wanted to save some movies in 16:9 format but I just ended up with 9:9 ones stretched widthways, which looks very odd. I'll do them as square videos for YouTube.

steverob

Guru
Very interesting. But I find the StreetView shots it takes are pointing too high - you get a lot of sky and trees, but very little of the road directly beneath you, which is what I'd like to see.

However, it's still better than the alternative site I've found (gpxhyperlapse.com), which limits the number of GPX points to 200 (meaning you can only do short rides or have the movie skip through your route REALLY fast) and the end result isn't downloadable, just playable on the site itself.

Top Bottom