Wow, now that's pricey..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
The battery on the ipace must be where the fuel tank would be.
Due to it being damaged by the wishbone.

Makes sense to store it underneath with the fire risk to occupants.
Lowers weight mass too so good for stability

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You would think so, but have you tried changing a simple headlight bulb on a modern car recently? On mine you have to remove the entire lighting unit from the car to do it!

There has been an EU regulation in force for many years now which says a car headlight bulb must be changeable at the roadside fairly simply.

In my Vauxhall, the lamp unit is held in by a single chunky cross head screw on the latch panel.

To be in compliance, Vauxhall supply a cheapo screwdriver with the tool kit.

Some Renaults needed removal of the front bumper and valence to change a bulb, although a dealer local to me had a mechanic who could do the job without.

I can't recall exactly when the Euro rule was brought in, so I'm curious to know how old your car is.

Broadside

Guru
It’s a 2012 Ford Galaxy. You have to remove three torx screws, one of which is pretty hard to get at. It would be a struggle at the roadside in the dark.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It’s a 2012 Ford Galaxy. You have to remove three torx screws, one of which is pretty hard to get at. It would be a struggle at the roadside in the dark.

I think a 2012 car would be covered by the regulation.

Three torx screws might do it, provided the car was supplied with a torx driver.

Wasn't the Galaxy a collaboration with other manufacturers?

Perhaps complying with the regulation was overlooked in the dealings between the various design offices.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wait until your fancy new LED headlight fails.. Seriously un funny.. 1000 quid on a volvo
Land rover of course cost twice as much..

There covered on my kia warranty for 7 yrs as its bumper to bumper, but its a ticking time bomb for used car buyers.
3-5k car in 5-8 yrs wont pass mot due to a impossibly high cost of a headlamp and will end up as scrap.
Or a thieves dream supplying to order of ebay ect.. Crime will pay

Food for thought

Wait until your fancy new LED headlight fails.. Seriously un funny.. 1000 quid on a volvo
Land rover of course cost twice as much..

There covered on my kia warranty for 7 yrs as its bumper to bumper, but its a ticking time bomb for used car buyers.
3-5k car in 5-8 yrs wont pass mot due to a impossibly high cost of a headlamp and will end up as scrap.
Or a thieves dream supplying to order of ebay ect.. Crime will pay

Food for thought

And I got sniffy because my Bosch & Müller head light cost me 30€...

Broadside

Guru
Wasn't the Galaxy a collaboration with other manufacturers?

pre 2006 Galaxys were a collaboration with VW group so they got badged as Ford, VW and Seat.

after 2006 they are Ford only, but mine has got a Peugeot CSA engine! It’s an engine widely used across lots of manufacturers including Ford, Volvo and of course Peugeot, Citroen etc.

icowden

Veteran
With an EV, the battery is a significant part of the car / mass. I agree with the post above that suggests their battery placement may be an issue.
In terms of the battery life, assuming that JRL have done their research, they should have a decent lifetime.

Tesla are finding that battery loss is minimal:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/16/tesla-battery-packs-live-longer

They also continually improve their batteries:

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-may-soon-have-a-battery-that-can-last-a-million-miles/

Their final trick is that the battery is modular, so if there is a battery issue, a module can be swapped for about $5000 as opposed to writing off the car.
Here is some data about Tesloop:-

https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla-model-s-holds-up-400000-miles-3-years/

They have had issues but run Tesla's as taxis, so don't really represent a usual use model.

Drago

Legendary Member
It a licence built copy of the PSA unit, with a fair few details, differences. The deal at the time was that PSA designed the 4 pot units and Ford the 6 pot diesels, hence the rather unpleasant 2.7 and 3.0 V6 HDi ending up on cars as diverse as the Citron C6, Peogeot 407, various Jags, Disco and Range Rover Spurt.

presta

Guru
In all seriousness, is it hard to change the battery, i would have thought it would be easy, no moving parts, just lift in and out?
No moving parts?
Batteries on electric cars have complex cooling systems that will have to be disconnected. Nissan Leaf is air cooled and Teslas are water cooled, but they've both had problems with overheating, BMW and Jaguar use refrigeration systems.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
dunno about garages but with us any work on hyrids needs to be carried out in special zone by trained chaps and after doing stuff to the battery to make it safe ,If a garage needs to do this then cost in specilaist equipment and time add up .Not saying they are not taking the pee though .

Drago

Legendary Member
No moving parts?
Batteries on electric cars have complex cooling systems that will have to be disconnected. Nissan Leaf is air cooled and Teslas are water cooled, but they've both had problems with overheating, BMW and Jaguar use refrigeration systems.
Indeed, and first generation Leaf's (Leaves?) are suffering suffereng from seriously curtailed range as they age. It's not at all uncommon to find older models from 2012 or 2013 with barely 50 miles usable range without headlamps and heater in use. Indeed, last series of Top Gear they bought a leaf for one of their challenges and were aghast that theirs was also like this.

Looking at the bigger picture, are they really any cleaner when their useful life is half the age and mileage of a conventional car? The answer is a most assured "nope".

And they still have all the other moving parts that ICE cars do. Drive shafts, CVs, wheel bearings, suspension members etc, steering components...

If you want to genuinely help the planet then avoid car use altogether.

keithmac

Guru
There has been an EU regulation in force for many years now which says a car headlight bulb must be changeable at the roadside fairly simply.

In my Vauxhall, the lamp unit is held in by a single chunky cross head screw on the latch panel.

To be in compliance, Vauxhall supply a cheapo screwdriver with the tool kit.

Some Renaults needed removal of the front bumper and valence to change a bulb, although a dealer local to me had a mechanic who could do the job without.

I can't recall exactly when the Euro rule was brought in, so I'm curious to know how old your car is.

This is the point on our 2013 that you could replace the Xenon bulbs, requires headlight removal which is a significant task not for the side of the road..

Drago

Legendary Member
I was astonished to find that the entire headlamp on the XC90 can be removed in seconds with no tools. Unplug the connector, pull out two shaped metal rods which are ordinarily held in place by the closed bonnet, and the assembly pops off.

Conversely, the same job on the smart requires the removal of the bonnet, front wings, and front bumper.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Disco 4 headlights can come out in about 5mins each side and that's being generous. In fact the pop the grill at the front and slide the catch up on the headlamp and that's it ! Just need to unplug the connector. However as mentioned further up, these new fancy dan LED headlamps are ticking time bombs n the second hand market in years to come. Can see older cars being written off if a front end bump was to happen.

Top Bottom