Wrapping Bar Tape on Bull horn bars with TT style brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hi Guys,

I am trying to wrap some bar tape around my bull horn style bars that have tt brake levers that plug the ends of the bars.

All the videos/information on bar tape wraping I've found are for standard road bars that involve you to start form the end of the bars either by incerting a small amount in the bar first or leaving overlap which is then pressed in by the bar end plug.

My bar end plugs in this case are the brake levers, if I took them out and then wraped the tape it would invovle disconecting the brake cables in order to remove them and then im not sure if the levers would fit back in its a kinda snug ish fit anyways?

how would you do this? just start from the outside and put black tape around both ends or take the lever out and overlap it under the levers?

Thanks

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I had a similar problem wrapping my bars as they have bar end shifters. I found tapering the end of the tape before starting the wrap at the end of the bar worked best for me

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
That sounds like an easier way of doing it, thanks!

Did you put some eletrical tape at the lever end as well as the end point? i think it might look a bit untidy with the black electrical tape at both ends but im not sure if it will be sticky enough to stay in place without?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If you wrap it tight enough at the start of the wrap and make sure you wrap it so it's self tightening it should be fine; I just used tape at the end of the wrap.

I'm sure there was a question similar to this a couple of years ago and somebody recommended hair spray; spray some on the ends of the bars and before it has the opportunity to dry wrap the tape on. Apparently its just tacky enough to hold the tape but won't cause issues when you need to remove it.

Obviously a normal hair spray like Elnett not something with glitter in.

Top Bottom