Wrapping cloth tape over double sided - bad idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My Raleigh Royal will need it's bar tape doing, once I've made my mind up whether to leave the current stem on or fit a shorter spare 80mm one and got the brakes in exactly the right position. I don't like the modern really thick stuff roadies now seem to favour as it makes the bars look like scaffold poles, and as the Royal is an understated bike I don't want anything too bling and garish either. I also can't resist the urge to fiddle with oily bits, so I'm thinking the colour will have to be dark grey or black, otherwise it isn't going to stay looking pristine for five minutes. So it's probably going to be some sort of plain cloth stuff, but I don't want to risk it slipping and leaving bits of bare ali on show. I then had what is probably a very stupid idea; what about wrapping the bars with double-sided adhesive tape, then wrapping the bar tape over that, so it can't slide?. Any merit in doing this or is it a dumb idea? I've heard of people hiding old inner tube rubber under bar tape for extra vibration absorption. Would my idea give a bit more comfort, no slippage, but still look visually "vintage"?.
Any specific recommendations on what bar tape to use and who to obtain it from? Cosmetics don't normally bother me, but on a nice bike I want things to come out looking right, not a lash-up.

midlife

Guru
Why not buy adhesive cloth tape, Tressostar / Tressorex?

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Does this sort of stuff come with a peel-off backing allowing a dry run to check for sufficient roll length before doing it for real? I've been warned by a cyclist at work that bar tapes are sometimes supplied on the stingy side length-wise and you need to be careful with overlap if it is not to run out too soon.

midlife

Guru
The stuff I have used has no peel off backing, there was enough to wrap Cinelli Giro D'Italia bars which are quite big. The only argument is where do you start and finish lol

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
When I redid my Raleigh Arena's bars over 35 years ago, after multiple brick wall scrapes and crash scuffs, I remember starting from the stem end and finishing on the drops, with a plug shoved in the tube end to hold the tape. Trouble is it was so long ago I can't remember the exact tape I used other than it was an embossed job, and I don't recall it being self-adhesive.

davidphilips

Veteran
This type of bar tape is not to thick and quite cheap can post a picture of it fitted if needs be availabe in black or brown takes a few weeks to arrive but well worth the wait.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-rod-2-Bar-Plug-PU-Leather-Wrap-Belt-Straps-Bicycle-Handlebar-Tape/183620334742?hash=item2ac09ff496:m:mrTIXf3RUJ2jBQW77J9S7eQ

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never had a problem with bar tape without adhesive backing, in fact I prefer it as it is easier to remove without leaving a mess behind. It won't slip provided you start from the top of the bars so your hands are not pushing against the edges and you wrap it really tight.

midlife

Guru
I've never had a problem with bar tape without adhesive backing, in fact I prefer it as it is easier to remove without leaving a mess behind. It won't slip provided you start from the top of the bars so your hands are not pushing against the edges and you wrap it really tight.

I start at the bar ends and finish at the top with electrical tape. Stops the cloth tape forming "rolls" when on the tops.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Or why not try some black leather look perforated tape. I wrapped the bars on my Genesis Day One in the caramel colour, it’s not too thick, includes bar end plugs/finishing tape and costs £5 plus post from Planet X.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTVXSFTP/velox-guidoline-soft-perforated-bar-tape

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
As others have said Tressorex is self adhesive and can be repositioned. Regarding wrap going from the stem out is often known as the 'Raleigh wrap' as that's how they did it.
Never heard of that being a thing before. Live and learn. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom