Wrigley Velos Manchester Velodrome Bash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Straightup

You will need a helmet. They wont let you on without one.
You can stick the Garmin in your pocket but l dont think they would like you to have it on the bars.

Edit. Last time in went the garmin didnt record much useful stuff because being indoors l think it was always losing satellite contact.
Can always try it though.

Great - thank you.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm aiming for 7.30 to 7.45 too.

Just to check - all I need is .....myself and shorts and a top?
Bike and shoes will be sorted at the Velodrome.
I'm assuming its ok to pop the Garmin onto the bike - to add a few more miles to my annual distance......
Wear a baselayer. It'll become obvious why if someone comes off.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to check - all I need is .....myself and shorts and a top?
Bike and shoes will be sorted at the Velodrome.
I'm assuming its ok to pop the Garmin onto the bike - to add a few more miles to my annual distance......
Wear a baselayer. It'll become obvious why if someone comes off.
Take a drink to leave in the central area for the occasional stop.
Some info from the website here - www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/track/information/safety-information-rider-conduct

This includes advice about clothing and also mentions helmets and not mounting anything on the helmet (not sure but this may include attaching extras to the bikes too?).

They can provide helmets if needed....
upload_2018-12-22_11-17-20.png

Good advice from @Katherine about drinks. I was going to bring a bottle but it's worth reminding everyone. Could be a thirsty 2hrs if you don't!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Can't go I'm afraid - SWMBO has reminded me I'm booked already tomorrow morning.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a snoop into the velodrome one weekday when a group was doing a tester session.

No one stopped me wandering through the tunnel to get to the centre.

I exchanged a few words with the instructor who told me I was welcome to grab a bike and have a go, even though I was in street clothes.

They had a fleet of Dolan roadie bikes, although I think most riders were on their own bikes.

What struck me was how fast you have to go to get anywhere near the top of the banking, which is steeper than I imagined.

The instructor was urging greater effort from some of the riders, but it was all very friendly so you ought to have a good time.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You'll enjoy it tomorrow (I hope!).

Keep pedalling ... shan't say how I know :B)
You need effort to go up, but once you're there it's fine
Remember to push on into the corners, ease off coming out
Look right before moving up, look left before moving down

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, as expected, that was ace. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed it and nobody fell off so we were obviously doing it right.

I do have a list of timed laps against the rider numbers the coach gave you so once you all tell me your numbers I will publish the times. Just to set things rolling, I was #1. Not sure why the coach kept picking on me to go first, its not like I have ever done it before so I didn't know what I was doing.

I have some pictures but none of us actually riding. I will post a few up later once I get on my PC.

Looking forward to trying it again, hopefully get a session lined up for sometime in the second half of 2019?

Top Bottom