Wrist Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Just at the base of my thumbs on wrists when I bring the back of my hand back towards my arm, if you get my drift. Can be a bit painful at times. Anybody know what the cause could be?

ASC1951

Guru
Is this a cycling pain, Jogger, or generally?

Assuming it's cycling, one possibility is a bike set-up which puts too much weight on your hands e.g. saddle too high, bars too low. That is unlikely if it is something that has just come on.

I had something similar a couple of years ago, with discomfort in my forearms and hands while cycling. The physio diagnosed muscular imbalance and gave me this exercise - sit in a chair with your arm on the armrest and the wrist just over the end, grip a 16oz tin of beans or whatever between your thumb and little finger, raise and lower the whole hand to full extension of the wrist in both directions, do 40 or 50 repetitions several times a day.

After a couple of weeks the discomfort went and I have never had it again. Could be worth a try.

I would certainly see a physio if it has been going on for a while and you haven't done anything that could account for it, like doing a face plant at work.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
LOL no face face plant but yes it is cycling related. Thanks ASC I'll try that exercise, I think it could be the set up of the bike, I know it is a bit big and I recently raised the saddle so I'll lower that again and do the exercise to see what happens, if nothing I'll go to the physio in work, he is a keen cyclist.

ASC1951

Guru
A physio who is a keen cyclist is a real result! Mine is very good, but she is a runner and works with team sportspeople, so I sometimes have difficulty explaining bike problems to her.

It might also be worth getting a session on a proper bike fitting jig, operated by someone who knows what they are doing. It's not cheap, but like most people I got mine free when I bought a new bike. So long as you keep the printout, you only need to do it once.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
May be bar positioning- too low, a bit too far forward, or a bit of both. Have have you started riding a new/different bike in the last six months or so? or perhaps increased your time on the bike by a fair amount?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I had something similar and it disappeared when I fitted a longer stem. Definitely look at your bike positioning.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Palinurus got the bike last June moved from a small to a large frame. Not really increased mileage though.
Thanks All

Top Bottom