Writing to your MP & Police. Any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverbow

Has anyone any experience of writing to their local MP or Police to complain about driving standards? I am having extremely difficult time at the moment with tractors, especially when they are pulling trailers.

Today saw a new low in the inept driving skills of some tractor drivers and I was twice passed by tractors with inches to spare, and I really do mean inches. The second time it happen I had to stop, I can't actually think of another time in my life when I was so scared.

I'm sure that writing to MP/Police may have little effect, but I need to start somewhere.

Any tips/advice will be gratefully received.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ring up the farm doing it.

Your not alone, I find this with many vehicles drawing trailers. Its almost as though they forget they've got one, the tractor unit usually passes with enough room but then starts to pull back in before its clear.
I suspect writing to an MP or the Police will do little but may make you feel better.

OP
OP
silverbow

silverbow

marinyork said:
Ring up the farm doing it.

I would but it is so hard to work out from which farm they are from. At this time of year most of the tractors are hired-in tractors and trailers to cope with the harvesting.

I did consider asking the Police how to approach all farms in the area though....

lazyfatgit

Hate tractors. Had to dodge under some device stcking out the back of one 25yrs ago. Chin on the handlebars, flying into the verge (it was a steep downhill). Never trusted them since.

Having said that, one with 4 big wheels passed me near five sisters a couple of weeks ago leaving plenty of room. Imagine my surprise when I passed him a minute later getting a gate open - young man looked about 15, so they're not all bad.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
silverbow said:
I would but it is so hard to work out from which farm they are from. At this time of year most of the tractors are hired-in tractors and trailers to cope with the harvesting.

I did consider asking the Police how to approach all farms in the area though....

Fair enough. I think that's a good idea though.

PBancroft

I'm considering (only considering, mind you) contacting my MP to see if she would be willing to join me on my commute one day so that she can see the state of roads and driving standards from a cyclists point of view.

Not sure if she would take it up, could be interesting publicity for her if she did.

PK99

Legendary Member
[LEFT][COLOR=red][FONT=serif][B][U]silverbow[/U][/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT] said:

Today saw a new low in the inept driving skills of some tractor drivers and I was twice passed by tractors with inches to spare, and I really do mean inches. The second time it happen I had to stop, I can't actually think of another time in my life when I was so scared.

What was your road positioning when passed?

lukesdad

We have alot of youngsters down here driving tractors. Is there a minium age and do they have to pass a test?

Garz

Squat Member
Dunno but what ****s me off is cyclists get told to 'get off the road' yet these tractors don't pay tax either! They have discounted fuel, and seem to be allowed to travel for unlimited miles to other farms causing problems.

I suppose a farmer would tell us the other side of the fence viewpoint, but they don't seem to get as much grief doing their rounds as they should do!

/rant

thomas

the tank engine
lukesdad said:
We have alot of youngsters down here driving tractors. Is there a minium age and do they have to pass a test?

Well, if it's on private land no. if they're driving on the roads the same as everyone else I'd of thought.

Top Bottom