Wrong bike size Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
You need to be able to straddle the frame with both feet flat on the ground without err feeling uncomfotrtable. Can you do that?
A picture of you on the bike sitting on the saddle will identify if the bike is too big/right for you and if the saddle height is correct.

I cannot do that on some of my bikes, but they are still very comfortable.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Pic with my foot on floor both sides flat on floor

In my extremely inexpert view, that looks fine, if anything on the small rather than large side.

Hard to say what's causing the unsteady feeling. Might just be a case of getting some miles in. Just check the tyres are hard enough - do you have a track pump? Low tyre pressures make cornering iffy.

An ebike will be much heavier and if anything harder to handle, most likely.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Pic with my foot on floor both sides flat on floor
I wouldn’t usually recommend a 20” frame for a 5’ 8” gent but that doesn’t look too big for you, are you sure it is a 20” frame, it looks smaller?
Your unsteadiness around corners may be lack of confidence on an unfamiliar bike, ride more and confidence will come.
If you are riding mostly on tarmac or flat tracks then I would check the side wall of the tyres and inflate to near maximum recommended pressure.
What tyre pressure are you running?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You look okay for size but that saddle could definitely come up, maybe about an inch or so so that your leg is straight sitting on the saddle with your foot on the peddle at six o’clock. You’ll be able to apply more power, be more comfortable and avoid leg fatigue :okay:. When you come to a stop slide off the saddle and straddle the top tube.

Last edited:
The bike looks more or less correct size.
Set the saddle height so you can't put both feet flat on the ground. Set it so with a straight leg, your heel meets the pedal. That way, when you pedal correctly with the ball of your foot on the pedal you will have enough bend at the knee.
Post pics with your pedals in the horizontal, foot forward and with foot at 6:00.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would say the saddle needs to go up a bit. If anything the bike looks a tad small for him. He looks too squashed up holding onto the bars.

Twilkes

Guru
The angle of the arms looks a bit flat to me, which might tie in with the bars being too far away, but also based on where the knee is when the pedal is down at the bottom the saddle might also come forward a bit which would have the side effect of reducing the reach.

So OP, this bike WILL fit you, just needs the saddle to be in the right place. :smile: Look up GCN Quick Bike Fit or something on YouTube, they have lots of good stuff less experienced riders.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That doesn't look overly large to me, in fact your saddle might even go a bit higher.

You look okay for size but that saddle could definitely come up, maybe about an inch or so so that your leg is straight sitting on the saddle with your foot on the peddle at six o’clock.

My immediate thoughts on seeing those pictures were "saddle set too low, sizing looks OK" Leg definitely still too bent with the pedal at six o'clock. Maybe not a full inch too low, but definitely needs to go up at least half an inch. Loads of riders have low saddles, and they probably think that cycling is hard work - because the low saddle kills your legs in less than half the distance a properly adjusted one does.

My immediate thoughts on seeing those pictures were "saddle set too low, sizing looks OK" Leg definitely still too bent with the pedal at six o'clock. Maybe not a full inch too low, but definitely needs to go up at least half an inch. Loads of riders have low saddles, and they probably think that cycling is hard work - because the low saddle kills your legs in less than half the distance a properly adjusted one does.
+1

JPBoothy

Veteran
I would say the reach 'to the bars' is more of an issue than the height as that is easier to resolve. I was once sold a CX bike by Evans Liverpool which was too big for me in the top tube length but not noticeable so much in the height. This caused a neck strain injury which is still bothering me today. Do NOT feel as if you are stretching to reach the bars.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
On my elephant bike to get my legs correct on the peddles the seat is quite high. I can just tip toe to with one leg to stop me toppling over. This is the most comfortable cycling position as if it is lower I'd have thigh and knee pain and I know I'd wobble about. It's the best trade off. You're cycling more than putting your feet on the ground. You will be able to get more power down as well.

JPBoothy

Veteran
On my elephant bike to get my legs correct on the peddles the seat is quite high. I can just tip toe to with one leg to stop me toppling over. This is the most comfortable cycling position as if it is lower I'd have thigh and knee pain and I know I'd wobble about. It's the best trade off. You're cycling more than putting your feet on the ground. You will be able to get more power down as well.
I always tend to slip forward and off the saddle when coming to a stop but, a lot of people still want that 'safe' feeling (my kids/wife for example) of having both feet flat on the floor when seated which is never going to create the correct bend position in the leg and, as a result is likely to make them feel uncomfortable and the whole experience less enjoyable.

Top Bottom