Wrong chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Stiff links need loosening, either chain tool or a bit of hands on and lube. Chain looks a bit dry.

Sharky

Guru
Does look like a chain issue. Give the link where its coming off a dab nail varnish and see what happens next time.

Has it always been a 1x8 transmission? Is the chainring aligned between the 4th and 5th sprockets?

Narrow/wide chainrings are better at staying on the chain ring for 1x systems.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thats everyone for the input ^_^ ive lubed it up and now im going to relax have a cuppah tea and watch an episode of 'Breaking Bad' this chain falling off is doing my head in! :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is that a narrow-wide chainring? (Many 1x setups have them.)

If so then the chain only meshes properly on the ring if you have the narrow parts of the chain aligned with the narrow teeth on the ring and the wide parts of the chain with the wide teeth! (And if that were the problem, then the solution would be to move the chain round by an odd number of teeth.)

(I don't think that will be the case though because the ring seems to have pins through it to help shift the chain onto other rings.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I assume you've checked the chainring is not warped?

I once had a recurring chain coming off problem. Whilst the chainring itself wasn't warped the bottom bracket axle was bent causing a quarter inch of run out, which not surprisingly threw the chain. I was astonished that a half inch diameter solid steel axle had bent somehow, as I wasn't exactly Eddie Merckx.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Is that a narrow-wide chainring? (Many 1x setups have them.)

If so then the chain only meshes properly on the ring if you have the narrow parts of the chain aligned with the narrow teeth on the ring and the wide parts of the chain with the wide teeth! (And if that were the problem, then the solution would be to move the chain round by an odd number of teeth.)

(I don't think that will be the case though because the ring seems to have pins through it to help shift the chain onto other rings.)
Morning folks ^_^ Thanks ColinJ, no its not a narrow wide. I think the problem as been suggested by you wise sages :laugh: is that its a stiff link. I couldnt feel anything wrong but the chain starts falling off at exactly the same point, i marked it with chalk. After much lubing and wriggling of the link the chain doesnt fall off so frequently. Even though the stiffness cant be felt it must be there so i'll put a new chain on and hope that sorts it. The advice given here is very very much appreciated! i would've probably sent the new chainring back to Tredz by now which wouldnt have helped at all! Will post later to confirm the fix [or not] :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try a test ride. It strictly shouldn't fall off, but that's a chainring for 2x or more - as you say, shifting pins and chamfers.

Chainline won't be great on the outer sprockets, Was the bike originally 1 x chainring set up. You've not changed anything like fitting a different length bottom bracket axel ?

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Try a test ride. It strictly shouldn't fall off, but that's a chainring for 2x or more - as you say, shifting pins and chamfers.

Chainline won't be great on the outer sprockets, Was the bike originally 1 x chainring set up. You've not changed anything like fitting a different length bottom bracket axel ?
Yes its all original 1 x 8 and havent changed anything. Ive had hell of a job trying to source a replacement and resorted to sending the info/measurements to Tredz and hoping i'd receive the correct one.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Sounds like the classic case of "it can't possibly be x" and sure enough that's exactly what it is. Similar has happened to me more than once
Celebrations cancelled.....damn chain is coming of again-falling off the chainring in 8th and 'skipping' in 1st I reckon a 2 x chainring isnt compatable with a 1 x Can anyone tell me where i can get a 42 teeth 5 arm bcd 130, chainring for a 1 x 8 speed, Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom