Wrong chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Mark the chain again and determine if its falling off at the same links.

Alex321

Veteran
It seems random now- it may spin 5 times ok then falls off, this is on a brand new chain

Is it the right width chain?

If you have an 8 speed cassette/freewheel, then you need a chain designed for 7-9 speed - and a chainwheel designed for that as well, though a chainwheel designed for higher numbers should be Ok, it will just mean there is sideways play in the chain on the chainwheel.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Is it the right width chain?

If you have an 8 speed cassette/freewheel, then you need a chain designed for 7-9 speed - and a chainwheel designed for that as well, though a chainwheel designed for higher numbers should be Ok, it will just mean there is sideways play in the chain on the chainwheel.
Its the right chain exactly the same as the one removed. Im convinced i have the wrong chainring which allows the chain to shift about which would explain why its ok one minute and not the next

Alex321

Veteran
Its the right chain exactly the same as the one removed. Im convinced i have the wrong chainring which allows the chain to shift about which would explain why its ok one minute and not the next

It is very possible you have a 10 or 11 speed chainring, which would give some sideways play, because the teeth on the chainring will be narrower (as would a 10 or 11 speed chain).

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
It is very possible you have a 10 or 11 speed chainring, which would give some sideways play, because the teeth on the chainring will be narrower (as would a 10 or 11 speed chain).
That sounds about right, the teeth on the original look nothing like the new one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK Here's a theory. Probably nonsense. How old is the cassette?

If the cassette is worn and the chain new then perhaps the chain might start "skating" over the teeth of the sprocket. In the biggest sprocket this might be enough to lift the chain high enough and it's offset enough that it can disengage from the chainring.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
OK Here's a theory. Probably nonsense. How old is the cassette?

If the cassette is worn and the chain new then perhaps the chain might start "skating" over the teeth of the sprocket. In the biggest sprocket this might be enough to lift the chain high enough and it's offset enough that it can disengage from the chainring.
New cassette about a month old

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have used 10 speed chainrings with 8, 9, and 10-speed chains on my singlespeed bike without any problems.

The problem I did have was when the chain tensioner wasn't taking the slack up properly when I hit bumps in the road - the tensioner bounced, the chain slapped about, and fell off.

Its absolutely the right length- i measured against the old one.
I thought the old chain was falling off as well!

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
I have used 10 speed chainrings with 8, 9, and 10-speed chains on my singlespeed bike without any problems.

The problem I did have was when the chain tensioner wasn't taking the slack up properly when I hit bumps in the road - the tensioner bounced, the chain slapped about, and fell off.

I thought the old chain was falling off as well!
The old chain was fine with the original chainring apart from occasional 'skipping' when a lot of pressure was applied- hence the new chainring. Ive a feeling were going round the houses when its the new chainring which is wrong!

Top Bottom