Wrong chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Did you count the links or measure the length?
Was the old chain worn?
Was the old chain the right length?
Have you checked the chain line?
The old chain only had about 800 miles on it. I laid them out alongside each other removing some links of the new chain to get them exact...something ive done numerous times- it aint the chain!

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Okay dokie put the original chainring back on with the new chain, had a spin round the block no problems whatsoever. So the new chainring has to be at fault-agreed?
So can anyone tell me where i can get a 42 teeth 5 arm 130 bcd, chainring for a 1 x 8 speed, Thanks

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

Sharky

Guru
One last thought. The lifting pin that's visible are usually on the big ring of a double chainset and on the inside. That is, facing the frame.

Can you turn the ring round, so the lifting pin is on the inside.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
One last thought. The lifting pin that's visible are usually on the big ring of a double chainset and on the inside. That is, facing the frame.

Can you turn the ring round, so the lifting pin is on the inside.
Thanks Sharky Is a 'lifting pin' just a rivet and whats its function? When im in a better humour i'll try turning it around-- getting pissed off with which should be a simple job :rolleyes:
There isn't much meat left on the teeth on that chainring? To me it looks worn out to start with .
Its brand new bt doesnt look right to me either...certainly wont be using Tredz again.

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks Sharky Is a 'lifting pin' just a rivet and whats its function? When im in a better humour i'll try turning it around-- getting pissed off with which should be a simple job :rolleyes:

Its brand new bt doesnt look right to me either...certainly wont be using Tredz again.

Tredz are perfectly good, I have used them regularly (Though in my case it helps that one of their 3 shops is only 10 minutes ride from my office).

I don't think it is their fault that the chainring isn't working with your setup.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
I have an old Shimano silver 42t ring 130 bcd, I can't remember what speed it was used with but the teeth are 2mm so should be OK with a 8 speed chain, it's a little worn but still useable, if you want it PM you address and I will pop it in the post.
Hi Venod thats very kind of you ^_^ for the time being i'll try to get a new one but will get back to you if i cant.:okay: I emailed Dawes yesterday asking where to get one...cant believe every 8 speed dawes bike comes to an untimely end because their chainrings wear out!

Top Bottom