Wtd: Gravel type commuter road bike, with hydraulics - upto £800 for 5'11" bloke.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
D

da_murphster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d choose sram over Shimano every time (personal preference). But I’d have TRP Spyres as hydraulic hoods are a fugly abomination on a good looking bike ;)

Kernow_T

Über Member
That looks decent. Am I right thinking the 'SRAM Rival 22 HRD groupset' is on par with the 105 groupset?

That makes it a well specced bike, yes?

Any comments compared the to the boardman that I might be able to get for around £700:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2138-adv-8.9.html

Both are cool colours!

Certainly on a par (in the most basic laymans terms) - I'd guess of those that had ridden both extensively, SRAM would perhaps come out on top. Don't discount Apex either - pure simple, reliable functionality and great valie

8mph

Veteran
The Dawes Galaxy Cro-mo costs around the £800 mark. Sora groupset, rack, internal cable routing, Schwalbe Marathon tyres, plenty of tyre clearance.

Again, no hydraulics

If you are buying second hand you will have to weigh up each

Edit: oops, just saw that you were after a second hand bike.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You've got an Evans in Bristol and their own brand Pinnacle Arkose models are good value
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d1-2019-adventure-road-bike-EV339946
No hydro brakes but the TRP Spryres are excellent and without the complication of hydraulics.
All except the lowest spec Arkose come with Hydros, the X1 variant used to come with tpr hyrd. Excellent bike and.good value if you can find a second hand one.

You might even get a new one on your scheme with a bit of wrangling. The D2 is £1025 retail

tom73

Guru
I looked at that boardman when I was looking round it's a good bike for sure. Then a very local bargain of a london Rd came up.
They are great fun to ride and a lot of bike for the money. Out the two the london rd look's even better close up.

rivers

How far can I go?
Can't help with used, but might be worth having a chat with Jim over at 73 degrees in Keynsham. They deal with most cycle to work providers, and is a cracking shop

vickster

Legendary Member
Seems a lot for a 4 year old Alu bike that will have no warranty cover for you as a second hand buyer

You could go check it over for signs of wear (i.e. New parts needed)

OP
OP
D

da_murphster

Seems a lot for a 4 year old Alu bike that will have no warranty cover for you as a second hand buyer

You could go check it over for signs of wear (i.e. New parts needed)

So it was bought in 2017, he reckons he paid £2.5k for it!

It 105 over the Tiagra and internal line routing etc.

So its not a billy bargain!?

I keep going back to the boardman - will see if they will still honour the deal for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
So it was bought in 2017, he reckons he paid £2.5k for it!

It 105 over the Tiagra and internal line routing etc.

So its not a billy bargain!?

I keep going back to the boardman - will see if they will still honour the deal for me.
2.5k for an alu bike? I know Specialized are overpriced but that's ridiculous. Ask him for the receipt. He bought a 2015 bike in 2017, it should have been reduced from list not doubled :smile:

I wouldn't buy it (nor any Spesh) and it's an ugly shape to my eyes but it's not my cash

You can use Tredz or Cycle Republic on Cycle 2 work, both owned by Halfords and should be able to source you a Boardman.

If you using one of the other schemes called cyclescheme, bike2work, workriders or green commute initiative ask in your local Halfords if they will take the voucher? Failing that independent shops are usually prepared to take other scheme providers providing you cover the commission cost for them?

Top Bottom