WTF! (Cryptic crossword clue in sleep)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I often do cryptic crosswords before going to sleep. I have noticed that I can sometimes solve a string of tricky clues in the morning that had stumped me the night before. I assume that my brain is working on them as a background task while I sleep. Interesting!

So, when I woke up this morning with the answer to a cryptic clue, I picked up the unfinished crossword from last night and went to fill it in. Then I discovered that the clue wasn't in the crossword puzzle. I had made up the clue while I was asleep and then solved it! (More likely - I had worked backwards from the answer and formed the clue.) Bizarre!

Anyway ... here it is:

Buffalo wash here in Birmingham? (5)

Bison!

TVC

Is it Bison? That's an old one.

Like Noddy Holder's favourite drink being a kipper tea.

TVC

Ah, maybe I had heard it somewhere recently in the background without being conscious of it!

(BTW Didn't the spoiler show up on your system?)
There are two Noddy Holder jokes, both of which he tells. Sorry for shutting down your thread. :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mystery solved ... I just spoke to my stepdaughter and she reminded me that she told me the joke a couple of months ago! She was born in Birmingham but left before she could talk so she doesn't have the accent, though she can put it on for jokes.

Brummie person: What is the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Answer: You can't wash your hands in a bison!

My memory is getting so , er, well, something has happened to it, but I can't remember what! :wacko:

Top Bottom