wtf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

was riding between sandycroft and borughton in north wales today when a massive lorry from holland came towards me driving on the wrong side of the road. so glad he realised what country he was in before he hit me

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Glad you didnt pop your clogs !

I wil get me coat :surrender:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've done it.... when I lived in France, on a Monday after a holiday back home... joining a road and driving along then wondering why there was some French idiot coming towards me on MY side of the road flashing his headlights at me....!

Matt1705

Über Member
I hired a car when we went to Greece last year, drove round the Island we were on in a day.

First time for me driving on the wrong side, doing fine until I over took a bin lorry that had stopped.

'forgot' to move back over after passing said lorry :blush:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I quite enjoyed cycling on the wrong side of the road in France. I got used to it after a while and found out that the drivers there were quite similar to the ones here (had a few close passes and 'must get past cyclist' moments.
Of course, if I would have had an interaction with any of them for any reason (none arose) then I am sure I would have come out of it knowing that I had taught that Frenchy a lesson!

Seryth

I came off a round-about on the wrong side of the road in France earlier this year...almost a very nasty accident!

Chris S

Legendary Member
A few years ago I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw a VW camper van behind me. There was a dog sitting in the driver's seat with its nosed pressed against the windscreen. I did a double-take and then saw it was a LHD van!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A few years ago I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw a VW camper van behind me. There was a dog sitting in the driver's seat with its nosed pressed against the windscreen. I did a double-take and then noticed it was a LHD van!
I've done that plenty. Sounded my horn once at a driver pulling out into a dual carriageway (A road) as they were looking down at their lap...didnt see the LHD driver staring intently at me and looking puzzled

theFire

Veteran
I went for a bike ride in Spain in June and managed to cycle the wrong way round a roundabout, luckily it was 6am and there was no-one else around :smile:

We also hired a car for the holiday, luckily I didn't make any mistakes in that. I think being in a left hand drive helped me remember what side I should be on!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Most of the rest of the world need to buck up their ideas and start driving on the left like one is supposed to. Who do they think they are?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If we Brits take our bikes to say France (or Canada) how do we convert our bikes to ride on the right (wrong) hand side of the road? It sounds like something or other gone mad to me and those of my ilk, whatever an "ilk" is. Some sort of wilderbeast or armadillo I think. It makes me glad that we won WW2 or Hitler would have had us all driving on the right with his vile, bigoted right wing views. I'm surprised that the E.U. haven't made us all drive on the right already but you can bet that they will do soon if we don't start telling Brussels to BACK OFF. Anyway whatever my point might have been it should be obvious that to doubt it or disagree just proves that I'm right about this, whatever "this" is. And about now I should misquote something in Latin so that everybody can see that they're not dealing with some intellectual light weight here. Cogito ergo sum benedictus giganticus, biffidus digestivum. My spell checker just can't cope.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hired a bicycle in Corfu and promptly set off on the wrong side of the road. I travelled a few hundred metres before I realised my mistake.

Once, I was on a cycling holiday in Spain with a mate and we stopped at the top of a small mountain/big hill to admire the view and have a snack. Break over, we remounted our bikes for the descent. I'd been looking the other way when my friend set off and when I turned round I saw that he was hurtling down on the LHS of the road. He was too far away to hear my shouts and he is a much quicker descender than me so I couldn't catch up to warn him. That road goes down through woods and has lots of twists and turns so I had visions of him hitting a car head on coming round a bend. Fortunately, there were no scenes of carnage ahead of me. It turned out that he had done 3 or 4 bends before he realised his mistake and crossed to the correct side of the road, shortly before a car came the other way ...

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm surprised that the E.U. haven't made us all drive on the right already but you can bet that they will do soon if we don't start telling Brussels to BACK OFF

The cost of changing filter lanes (etc) would be prohibitively expensive. In many cases it may not even be possible.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The cost of changing filter lanes (etc) would be prohibitively expensive. In many cases it may not even be possible.
We should get in there first. One night we should all pop over to the continent and under cover of darkness swap all the road markings and sign posts around so that they have to drive on the left.

Top Bottom